Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the other day that, from the back, the driver's side of my '08 GT convertible looked lower than that the passenger side. I was bringing the car in for service anyway so I asked the dealer to check it out. He measured and found that the driver's side was, in fact, about 1/2 inch lower than the passenger side. After congratulating me for my eagle eyes, he told me that this difference was normal and within spec. Is that true? Also, wouldn't it be a relatively simple adjustment to fix? If it were balanced out perfectly would I notice any difference?

·
Registered
227 Posts
My guess is it's the combination of springs and struts. They may be withing spec for their individual part, but combined can create this difference. For example, you have 600lb srings up front. Specs allow a variance of 10lbs either way to pass. Testing each spring, one is 610lbs and the other is 590lbs. This 20lb variance can cause the change in height. The pressure in struts/shocks can also cause this. Have you ever seen a car sitting lower on one corner? When a shock/strut goes bad this can happen. How did he measure the height?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know how he measured the height. Thanks.

G

·
Don't know how he measured the height. Thanks.
you can measure from the ground to the lip of the finder. Mine is lower on my driver side by about 1/4 of an inch. I was actually thinking about machining a spacer to slip under the isolater to level it off.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. I was assuming there was some screw or something you could turn to make small adjustments in the height. Guess not. Would new springs help?

G

·
Interesting. I was assuming there was some screw or something you could turn to make small adjustments in the height. Guess not. Would new springs help?
I only noticed mine once I installed a set of Eibachs. The lowered wheel gap made me realize it. I even swapped the springs from one side to the other in an effort to correct it and no change.

·
Registered
148 Posts
When you measured the height of you car, was it on level ground? If it wasn't your car would easily squat oddly giving the appearance of being not level.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you measured the height of you car, was it on level ground? If it wasn't your car would easily squat oddly giving the appearance of being not level.
Personally I never "measured" it myself. I happened to notice it one day. When I first saw it, the car was parked in my garage. I was at the bottom of my driveway, which slants upwards toward the garage, so I was looking at the car from slightly below the level at which the car was parked. Garage floor appears relatively level, though I must confess I have never checked it.

If the dealer is correct that the discrepancy is 1/2 inch I am also surprised that I would have seen it with the naked eye.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The weight distribution on these cars is not perfect from left to right, and a bunch of factors can affect it. My rear end is different by 3/8" from left to right and the front is off by 1/4"..

Someone told me you can get adjustable spring mounts so you can level it all, but I don't know anything about them..

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, guys. I am getting the impression that a 1/2 inch difference is no big deal, which is fine with me. I've got bigger problems with this car that I need to get resolved.

·
Registered
781 Posts
i wouldnt worry about it bud

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Back in the old Fox days when I was to broke to build a nice car and so were all my friends we all had cars with 100,000mi on the chassis. All of them leaned to the right. Some of it was the RH spring sees more torque tha the LH one and the Fox chassis tended to twist that way also. We used to swap the rear springs from one side to the other and it "fixed" most of the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.