Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I washed my Mustang this afternoon in the same methodical way as usual except I was cleaning and detailing the engine this time. I popped the hood latch and left the hood ajar as I washed the car. Instead of drying it off, I raised the hood to wash the engine bay. When I pulled the hood up, I felt some resistance. Seems I forgot to put the wiper blades back down. I hate it when I get yellow paint on my nice, clean, black wiper blade arms.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I washed my Mustang this afternoon in the same methodical way as usual except I was cleaning and detailing the engine this time. I popped the hood latch and left the hood ajar as I washed the car. Instead of drying it off, I raised the hood to wash the engine bay. When I pulled the hood up, I felt some resistance. Seems I forgot to put the wiper blades back down. I hate it when I get yellow paint on my nice, clean, black wiper blade arms.
Hey man at least you didn't forget to get the gorilla lug nut key out of the lugnut before driving off.
Or taking 1 tire off and raising the rear with the stock scissor jacks...on an tiny incline...nobody got hurt lmao.

·
Super Moderator
7,577 Posts
I predicted this scenario before buying my car, That's why my car is black. The body and wiper arms are already matching color. :grin:

Wow, Dave. I hope the wiper didn't flip down on the windshield and damage it or bend the wiper arm.

·
Registered
57 Posts
In the detailing biz, we call that a rookie mistake. But believe me, it's really not... On my brand new 19 GT/CS, I raised the hood while the wipers were up. Luckily, I didn't need to raise the hood entirely, I needed to get my microfiber out from under the hood, so I only gingerly lifted it a few inches then I noticed the wipers. No harm, no damage...

I always verbally say "check wipers" before opening the hoods of cars..

It happens...

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
. . . . I hate it when I get yellow paint on my nice, clean, black wiper blade arms.
. . . my car is black. The body and wiper arms are already matching color. :grin:
yeah, I hate it when that happens too . . . red is worse than black, yellow is worse than red, but not much, LOL

the good thing about the aluminum hood is, that bare spot on the edge of the hood doesn't rust

Reactions: Cobra2572

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I predicted this scenario before buying my car, That's why my car is black. The body and wiper arms are already matching color. :grin:

Wow, Dave. I hope the wiper didn't flip down on the windshield and damage it or bend the wiper arm.
Good thinking. As a corrective action, I may paint the wiper arms yellow to match the hood.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the detailing biz, we call that a rookie mistake. But believe me, it's really not... On my brand new 19 GT/CS, I raised the hood while the wipers were up. Luckily, I didn't need to raise the hood entirely, I needed to get my microfiber out from under the hood, so I only gingerly lifted it a few inches then I noticed the wipers. No harm, no damage...

I always verbally say "check wipers" before opening the hoods of cars..

It happens...
Good advice. Oddly enough, my Chevrolet Silverado wipers have no mechanism to hold them away from the windshield. Kind of a pain but the hood still has all the paint on it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Dumbest Thing I Did This Year

Erik, you are a veritable genius. But you got me to thinking. I did a quick Six Sigma evaluation and I think I need to take the hood off as well, to remove both variables. That would be the ultimate pokey yoke.

·
Super Moderator
7,577 Posts
That's too easy on ya. Dust off the FMEA.

There really isn't anything that can be pokey yoke'd. The almighty will just make a smarter idiot.

Reactions: Cobra2572

·
Registered
306 Posts
Simple solution - never leave the wiper arms up. I always put each arm back down after I wash or dry that particular side of the windshield.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dumbest Thing

There really isn't anything that can be pokey yoke'd. The almighty will just make a smarter idiot.
Words to live by. I've often made the statement at work that once you've idiot proofed everything, you only have idiots working for you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dumbest Thing

Simple solution - never leave the wiper arms up. I always put each arm back down after I wash or dry that particular side of the windshield.
Obviously not as simple as you think. At least for me. The best solution, (which I will now implement) is to wash the engine bay first.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dumbest Thing

FMEA is updated along with Control Plan. They have been added to the QMS documents. After the next successful car wash I’ll close the RCCA in the database.

·
Administrator
13,237 Posts
That`s not too bad. I once had a Cadillac I was working on & when I was done, I slammed the hood down, forgetting I had the repair manual resting on the cowl.... Busted the windshield...........:frown:

Stuff happens.:smile:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Hey man at least you didn't forget to get the gorilla lug nut key out of the lugnut before driving off.
Ha, I did that too!

I realized after coming back from test driving when I couldn’t find the key as I put away my tools.

I walked the route I had drove and looked along the drainage ditches and curbs to see if I could find the key.

I actually found it on the fifth turn from my house. The fast one before the main street. It was sitting in a shallow pothole in the middle of the intersection. Really surprised to find it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dumbest Thing

That`s not too bad. I once had a Cadillac I was working on & when I was done, I slammed the hood down, forgetting I had the repair manual resting on the cowl.... Busted the windshield...........:frown:

Stuff happens.:smile:
Yep, that would tend to ruin one's day.

·
Super Moderator
7,577 Posts
One of the best chat groups is the ROMEO club. You can learn a lot just listening to tales of agony and defeat. I have to say we don't have a lot of successes.

One esteemed member of the group mentioned he needed a bigger hole in the rear end. My first thought was lordy, what the heck group did I get myself into but then he explained he was referring to his cars rear end. He wanted to up-size his exhaust from 4 to 5 inches. I learned a lot about rear ends that day and subsequent discussions also focused on damages caused by bone headed actions like leaving doors opened in rush hour traffic while checking on a flat tire. Wiper blades came up as the #1 self-inflicted damage to cars by owners.

PS: ROMEO stands for Retired Ol Men Eating out. We meet every other day at Whataburger by the State Line and mull over life's ills over a Bacon on a Bun and free cup of senior coffee.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One of the best chat groups is the ROMEO club. You can learn a lot just listening to tales of agony and defeat. I have to say we don't have a lot of successes.

One esteemed member of the group mentioned he needed a bigger hole in the rear end. My first thought was lordy, what the heck group did I get myself into but then he explained he was referring to his cars rear end. He wanted to up-size his exhaust from 4 to 5 inches. I learned a lot about rear ends that day and subsequent discussions also focused on damages caused by bone headed actions like leaving doors opened in rush hour traffic while checking on a flat tire. Wiper blades came up as the #1 self-inflicted damage to cars by owners.

PS: ROMEO stands for Retired Ol Men Eating out. We meet every other day at Whataburger by the State Line and mull over life's ills over a Bacon on a Bun and free cup of senior coffee.
When I read the first line I immediately thought "colonoscopy" butt I was wrong. Sounds like my kind of club. I would not only be a member, I could be President.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts