Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1984 mustang 5.0 4bbl has not been able to start due to no spark. With my control module plugged into the distributor, I only get 1.7 volts to the coil. When I unplug it, the voltage goes back to 12.8. I have a new module, pickup, coil,
I unhooked the connector to the the distributor and started jumping each of the 3 wires one at a time with the voltmeter connected to the coilwire to find out which one is causing the problem. Found out that the ground is where the problem is.
When I connect the ground wire from the control module to the ground on the magnetic pickup inside the distributor, its shorting something out and the voltage to the coil drops to 1.7. When i unplug it, voltage jumps back to 12.8 and it sparks once each time i unplug it.
The resistance to the distributor ground to ground is only .2 ohms, so thats good. So when I ground the module it messes up. Could it be anything other than the module causing the problem? I just got it a couple days ago and it tested good before i left the store with it.
Anybody got any ideas?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, but I have tested the magnetic pickup as best you can. It is supposed to have 400-800 ohms of resistance thru the orange and purple wires that go to the pickup and it has about 450. Its supposed to have at least 70,000 ohms of resistance from each of those wires to the ground and it has so much my multimeter can't pick it up at all. It just reads 1, which means too high to read. The orange and purple wire plugged in do not make it mess up. Only when I plug that black ground wire in, does it short out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts