Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally got started putting in the dynamat in my vert. As all you vert owners know, there is little to no sound deadening in the vert trunk or interior. Not sure about you coupe owners. Anyway, I started this about 3 weeks ago. First I ran out of material after getting most of the front seat area finished (approx 40 square feet). After waiting for my next shipment to arrive, I started on the rear seat area (approx 34 square feet). Between the weather not cooperating (need warm weather to install without a heat gun) and my old body only taking so much crouching and bending and contorting, this project is taking forever! :frustrated:

As you can see from the photos, not only have I used dynamat, but I got some carpet underlayment as well and added it to the backside of the trunk floor cover thingy and the inside of the trunk taillight panel trim. My plan is to put the carpet underlayment on the backside of the two trunk quarter panel trim pieces as well, in addition to doing the trunk dynamat. I will post further pics as soon as I get more done. At the moment I am recuperating from twisting my ankle and throwing out my back. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
wow!!! I will be very eager to hear your feedback about results and first impressions once you are done. This looks great.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Looks like a pretty big project. Also looks like you are doing a very good job. I believe Jimmie Walker has always been a proponent of that Dynamat material. I remember him always shouting about it on TV.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I love dynamat. I put it in all my vehicles when I upgrade the stereo. IMO it's amust if you install a subwoofer. Holy cow thats a lot of dynamat, I bet the difference is night & day. Hope your not buying it at msrp. I get mine from ebay. Never have I seen anybody use that many square feet, thats gotta block some sound. Just curious, how much weight do you think you have added? Tell us how good it works, i think it will be great.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love dynamat. I put it in all my vehicles when I upgrade the stereo. IMO it's amust if you install a subwoofer. Holy cow thats a lot of dynamat, I bet the difference is night & day. Hope your not buying it at msrp. I get mine from ebay. Never have I seen anybody use that many square feet, thats gotta block some sound. Just curious, how much weight do you think you have added? Tell us how good it works, i think it will be great.
What? You have never seen OverHaulin ? Personally, I don't see how they install all that Dynamat to the entire car in the time they have. Hmm.

I am using Dynamat Extreme, which weighs-in at .5825 lbs per square foot. With that in mind, so far I have added 43 lbs to the car. Not bad actually. I figure the added weight to the trunk will be around another 20 lbs.

Unfortunately, I did buy the first two "trunk packs" retail on sale since I was in a hurry to start the project. When I saw how much I had left to do, I googled and found hifisoundconnection and ordered two 9-piece bulk boxes of the stuff for less than the two 5-piece trunk sets. DOH! Oh well, that will teach me to plan ahead a little more. ;)

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
What? You have never seen OverHaulin ? Personally, I don't see how they install all that Dynamat to the entire car in the time they have. Hmm.

I am using Dynamat Extreme, which weighs-in at .5825 lbs per square foot. With that in mind, so far I have added 43 lbs to the car. Not bad actually. I figure the added weight to the trunk will be around another 20 lbs.

Unfortunately, I did buy the first two "trunk packs" retail on sale since I was in a hurry to start the project. When I saw how much I had left to do, I googled and found hifisoundconnection and ordered two 9-piece bulk boxes of the stuff for less than the two 5-piece trunk sets. DOH! Oh well, that will teach me to plan ahead a little more. ;)
But you're not a track guy so the extra weight shouldn't matter to you.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update - Put it all back together - The Results ...

WOW !! What a difference! I am soooo happy all my hard work paid off. My combination of Dynamat Extreme and carpet padding/jute pad did the trick. My exhaust drone... GONE! Body shivers and thunks over bumps and highway expansion joints... GONE! Passing a semi-trailer truck and hearing every one of those 18-wheels turning... GONE (well, mostly)! The Shaker 500 even sounds better. No more buzzing from the quarters or door panels and the bass is much more solid now. Woohoo!!

Here are the latest pics of my project. Even though I ran out of Dynamat before I could finish, the end results are outstanding. I still have the front wheel wells to silence as well as finish off the trunk, but that can all wait until I get back from Tennessee in a few weeks.

I figure all the Dynamat and padding I installed added about 67 lbs to the car. A fair trade-off in my opinion. :hihi:

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
I did it in my whole car, I need to do the read side pillars still, just haven't gotten to it.

I think it took me about 3-4 hrs for the interior, and another 1-2 for the trunk.

It did make a difference, although I still have exhaust drone, but I also have midpipe mufflers with the side exhaust, which are right under the rear passenger floorboards.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I did the seat area back to the trunk. Figure I added about 50lbs of material but I offset that by dropping about 70lbs off my own fat rear end.

No drone, no extra weight, best of both worlds.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Great job! You did way better than I did. I tried to cut the pieces and put them in that way. Looks real stupid. Works, but looks stupid.

I know your body hurts, but that's way better than spending $600+ to have a shop do it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
As Darth Vader said to Luke, "Imressive". I can see why it took so long to finish. Great attention to the details. Have you noticed less heat coming from the firewall and console areas? I've thought about the mat just for that. I guess I'm just ahead of you in the 'maturity' thing 'cause the noise doesn't bother me much (can't hear it, LOL). Any troubles putting the carpet back in? I'm wondering if the extra bulk of the mat and pad caused fit issues.
Seeing that much of the innards of a Mustang is a bit scarry, kinda like watching open-heart surgery on your best dog.

·
Registered
49 Posts
great job! i did my entire car also including the roof! it's amazing the differance between stock sound damping and what it is now. think I added about 60-70lb, but the extra weight was well worth it!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for the positive feedbacks. I swear I will NEVER do anything like this project again. I found out I have muscles I didn't know existed... oh the pain!!

Vandil:
:laugh: I hear that! If I could drop the extra 50 lbs I have put on due to my thyroid condition the extra weight I added would not be so bad.

bigwilly43729: Cutting all those strips for the tranny hump, rear seat well, spare tire well, etc. was a real pain... literally. But, that seemed to be the most efficient method to cover those deep areas, and who will ever know it looks stupid when it is put back together. :gringreen

RedHorse1: I never really noticed the heat from the console area before this project. I have to assume it does block the heat, but don't quote me on that! :headscratch: The main problem with the carpet was getting it out! The heater core and lower console blocked getting it out. I ended up scooting it to one side and carefully cutting it apart so it could be stuffed back under the dash without the cuts being seen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.