Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i know with my mods my superchips microtuner is pretty much usless except for the fact that it does advance my timing a little with the 91 octane tune. I know its time for a change but im not made of money. Will getting my car dyno tuned be that much better then ordering a custom chip from superchips? Supposedly I can call superchips, tell them exactly what I have on my car and they will send me a chip that is pretty close to the tuning I require. Will it be worth the extra 500 bucks or am I looking at just a couple of horsepower and torque? Could my extra 500 be better spent somewhere else like on ........................ use your imagination:)

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Dude, get it custom tuned. Forget a canned chip or mail order tune, just go somewhere and get it dyno'd & tuned by someone that knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Agree with blue streak, it is the only way how to get the ECU for your specific motor maxed out.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Another vote for a custom tune. You're much better off simply if you find a shop you trust and work with you.

·
Registered
269 Posts
OK, well i have a 02 GT and i just put on some 18" rims and im going to get gears here in about a month, so I know that i need a tune to fix my speedo and all that. I live near dallas TX, and i know that dallas mustang (.com) is a good and reputable mustang shop. So basically what you guys are saying is that i should take it there to get it dyno tuned instead of buying a hand-hled tuner like SCT or Diablo. Do you guys know how much this will cost to tune my car, or can you guys give me an estimate?

·
Registered
364 Posts
It costs about $400 around here (new hamsphire) for a custom dyno tune including the chip.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
GTStang31 said:
Okay so i know with my mods my superchips microtuner is pretty much usless except for the fact that it does advance my timing a little with the 91 octane tune. I know its time for a change but im not made of money. Will getting my car dyno tuned be that much better then ordering a custom chip from superchips? Supposedly I can call superchips, tell them exactly what I have on my car and they will send me a chip that is pretty close to the tuning I require. Will it be worth the extra 500 bucks or am I looking at just a couple of horsepower and torque? Could my extra 500 be better spent somewhere else like on ........................ use your imagination:)
Why don't you just get your tuner reprogrammed? You can have Superchips make you a custom tune, download it to a computer, and then download the program from the computer to your tuner.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I heard that a custom tune will be a lot better than what you can get from a hand held tuner. Also, i saw that the diablo hand held tuner gives you a 15-20 rwhp increase, but in the Xcal 2 i didnt see anything in there about giving you any hp.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the Superchips Max Microtuner and it supposed to make 10- 15hp and 15-20 torque, but the problem is that it only works with cold air intakes and cat back exhausts. I called superchips today and they told me that the only make chips for stock vehicles. Im wondering if someone can burn a custom tune into my programer?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Gtstang, I am having the same trouble as you, I Have a superchips programmer also. My car now has several mods, much more than just a CAI and cat-back. I e-mailed them to find out if my programmer would work and my e-mail said that with my mods the car would run dangerously lean with their program. So I have found a shop locally that will sell me the Xcalibrator2 and put a custom dyno tuned tune on it for just 389 dollars. That is what I am doing and I am kicking myself in the ass for buying a POS superchips programmer.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Yes, practically any shop with a dyno should be able to burn a custom tune for your car using either SCT or DiabloSport software. The same effect can be gotten in much the same manner with a hand held tuner. The only difference is that a new chip is not burned, the new tune is uploaded straight to the ECU via the OBD II port under the dash on the driver's side. The beauty of a handheld tuner is that even after you've left the shop you can continue to make changes as needed ( as long as you KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING ) If you hear some detonation, you can plug in and turn the timing back or crank the fuel up depending on which parameter isn't right. If you change tire sizes or rear end ratios, you can adjust your speedo without a new chip. I'm a huge advocate of the hand held tuner for people who have the knowledge to make changes themselves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.