Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start off I don't think its "frozen" cuz pf the cold because my case seems different from everyone elses i've read.

I have an Automatic tranny. I put on the Ebrake and jacked up my car today to do an oil change. By the time I was done and everything I went to put the Ebrake down. However now my ebrake will lift up with no problem about half way cuz its very loose and after that you have to pull it up the rest but that "clicking" isnt there that indacates its locked in place. When I put my car in reverse and drive it will not creep at all for it to move i need to give it gas. So i took it down my street and back and I could drive it fine but since the Ebrake is like half on half off it slows down by itself. What do I do I need to fix this quick!

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Oh man that's not good. My e brake has frozen on me twice with two different mustangs. It was because of cold weather though. I'm not too sure what's wrong with yours though. I would recomend getting it looked at soon.

·
Registered
222 Posts
To start off I don't think its "frozen" cuz pf the cold because my case seems different from everyone elses i've read.

I have an Automatic tranny. I put on the Ebrake and jacked up my car today to do an oil change. By the time I was done and everything I went to put the Ebrake down. However now my ebrake will lift up with no problem about half way cuz its very loose and after that you have to pull it up the rest but that "clicking" isnt there that indacates its locked in place. When I put my car in reverse and drive it will not creep at all for it to move i need to give it gas. So i took it down my street and back and I could drive it fine but since the Ebrake is like half on half off it slows down by itself. What do I do I need to fix this quick!
Sounds like the same thing that happened to mine when it was frozen. Was it below freezing outside when you put the e-brake on?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I had just waxed my car a few days ago and it snowed so I didn't want it to get dirty. She has been sitting for about 3 days untouched. I let her warm up for five minutes, ran into a couple tool and oil issues so had to run to the store, came back changed the oil and let her idle for about 10 minutes. Then I want to move her back on the ride side of the garage and thats when I noticed the Ebrake issue.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,506 Posts
If there's no tension at all on the cable, it may have snapped. If there's some, it's likely frozen. Are the brakes still engaged?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Ebrake handle is completely loose no tension at all until about half way up and then you need to pull it hard to get it up all the way but like i said those little "clicks" rnt there. You can like lift the handle up half way with your pinky and when you do the dash does say that the ebrakes on. When the handle is down all the way the brakes are engaged about half way.

·
Registered
11,742 Posts
sounds like the typical frozen cable to me. warm the garage up, or get under there and warm the cables with heat gun. if they are sticking, you`ll need to replace them at some point. check where they connect to the caliper for dirt or rust. high temp grease on the moving parts is a good thing to do. check the rubber boots there too. if they are cracked, shoot some spray grease into cables through the cracks. that helped mine all last winter.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright thanks for the help everyone. If I can't figure it out in the next couple hours I'm gunna bring it to the dealer and have them take a look at it.

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
if its partially engaging its frozen. if it didnt engage at all it snapped.

here are a couple pics from a LCA install that will give you a better idea od what you are looking at. Make sure that the clip is still in there, if it fell off that might be part of your problem. But for now i would suggest getting the brake to disengage 100% and not use it till you can get it replaced

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much for all the help everyone. I went out to my car to check it out and everything was back to normal like nothing ever happened. Guess it just froze up? Anyways everything is all good and I'm now working on painting my calipers :bigthumbsup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.