Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the 2011+ V6 forum, then I remember all 2011+ autos have adaptive shifting. So here you go.
For a long time I've been wishing there was an easy button for the $%^*&# adaptive shifting. Then it hit me, I've been reseting the NoVRAM in mission computers for years by cycling breakers in a certain order. We don't have breakers, but why not pull the PCM fuse, then I won't have to reset Sirius, FM, AM stations on my radios, then reset the clock, etc...
Well after my wife drove the stang thru long rush hour traffic home(rush hour traffic ain't in no rush), I needed to run errands tonight and fill it up, so before hand I pulled the fuse for about 10 minutes.
It's actually easier than pulling the Neg. terminal. Just pop the hood, in front of the battery is the fuse box, pull it open, and pull #47 the middle 15 amp fuse. 10 minutes later push it back in.
I pulled out of the neighborhood on to the main road, gave it partial throttle and Walla immediate hard downshift. I kept playing with the throttle all the way to Wally World and the 76 station, and she was wide awake! Tonight was the first attempt, I'll repeat and verify, but I'm 99% sure this works, it's easier, faster, and no more reseting clock, and radios. Not quite an EASY Button, but close.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Thanks Jeff. This is really good to know. Truly is a pain to keep unscrewing the negative terminal, then setting up all the electronics again.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Thanks for the extra pics. Just to make sure... is this the fuse you are talking about?

·
Registered
645 Posts
This has to be one of the best things I have read to date. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes PB, I shoulda wrote this in Canadian too I guess Haha. The one that's missing that you circled #47.

·
Registered
707 Posts
On my 300 we had the same thing. It was fuse 11. After a few months, if you felt as if the car had lost a step, just go to the trunk and pop fuse 11. Pop it back in and all of the throttle tricks you performed in the past were forgotten and the car felt considerably snappier.

I had been wondering if Mustangs were the same way. Cool tip.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A switch would work, heck if you hid it a little it would dissable the car from being stolen too. I've already been thinking into that one.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've never had to reset the clock, etc.. after pulling the battery cable, but I have NAV. Is that why?
Pretty sure it has to be disconnected then headlights turned on to drain the reserve power. I would also think it would empty out if you left it disconnected over a number of hours.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pretty sure it has to be disconnected then headlights turned on to drain the reserve power. I would also think it would empty out if you left it disconnected over a number of hours.
So the Nav System set has backup power?
Interesting.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
there's no star trek "auxiliary power" for the pcm. you just need to clear the residual charge left. 10 minutes max.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If that is the case then why were my radio/sat settings along with setup options unchanged when I had the negative terminal disconnected for an hour when I changed front speakers? I was trying to locate the thread where Shaun at AED explained it on SVTP but I must not have subscribed to it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wiring Diagram

there's no star trek "auxiliary power" for the pcm. you just need to clear the residual charge left. 10 minutes max.
Right all the capacitive reactance. I meant just aux power for the Nav/Radios not phazers and photon torpedos.

I'm on the road this weekend but 4 other drivers on the 11+ V6 forum have said this worked for them also. Saying it was just like pulling the - battery terminal.
Now I just need a wiring diagram for the SJB. Any ideas where to get one?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK fellas, I'm a little confused. Measured only 40mV DC across fuse #47, Fords wiring diagram is correct, it's only hot with the key turned. So then I pulled fuse #23 and sure enough 12.3 VDC, so I left it out about 8 minutes. When I started the engine she hesitated, it took 3 or 4 seconds of cranking, she never does that. Once started she idled rough, and the rpm wandered for maybe 15 seconds then she settled down and idled smooth. My wife had just come thru rush hour traffic again, but after doing this she seemed wide awake. Now I'm confused. is that little 40mV enough to hold the memory or was that just a placebo effect on a lot of forum members? Is fuse 23 the real fix? Not so sure anymore. :confused:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts