Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Going through the forms previously its a common asked question of what upgrades would be best for the model. Well since mine is pretty much bone stock other then a muffler delete and a K&N filter on the stock intake... (L.O.L) What I am looking into is easy upgrades for the car to get horsepower without jumping into the transmission and engine since that would increase greatest HP and TQ, but here are a couple things I am considering and want to know some feedback. Cold-Air intake system: Now for me I don't care for name brands like BBK & K&N, that doesn't mean I don't like them but in reality you pay for there sticker on the box and on the system itself. So here is one I was interested in || 1996 2004 Ford Mustang GT V8 Inductions System Cold Air Intake Pipe Red Filter | eBay || not bad right? Still like K&N just without the LOGO on it really. Ok for a second upgrade probably one I am really interested in is a light-weight pulley kit for the car, here is one I was looking at || Summit Racing Underdrive Aluminum Pulley Kit 329702 W | eBay || but if anyone could find a Red kit please post the link, I want to make a Red/Black car its common but its my favorite color platform for most things. Now I have a muffler delete and I prefer to delete the cats or resonator to increase the flow and sound. The piping is stock which I believe is like 2.5", now reading a couple other forms a 3" pipe would loose Torque because there isn't enough back pressure if I am correct? This is because one of my close friends is a Nissan fanatic with a 240SX (Stage 2 clutch, intake, exhaust, minor engine mods) and also a 300zxTT (basically stock for a Twin turbo other then a new intercooler, he is trying to sell this for a manual 300zx) thing is I have beaten the 300zx from second gear roll so about 30MPH but in high roll (60-75MPH) in 4th gear I will get munched on sometimes until we get into high speed (100MPH+) then I will pass by boxing.gif . I got to keep him at bay rockonford.gif , so any upgrades always help :) just things I am looking into at the moment, also if you can think of anything else feel free! :alittlefeedback:

Important: I posted earlier on a problem with my cars Squeaking at 2000RPM now I changed my belt already and it sounds like it is coming from mid-car. It isn't always there sometimes I hear it sometimes I don't and it can be louder then my exhaust since I can hear it in the cabin of the car. I can't see it being my belt or pulleys system but is that possible even though I replaced the belt? I had one person comment and I was like maybe... Anyways, anyone else get this problem? It isn't setting off codes or anything but when something doesn't sound right it can only get worse over time! Thanks everyone stang.gif

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Easiest HP gain is Nitrous, ask me how I know ;) Should have been my second mod after the short throw shifter.

If your car is a manual, and it's squeaking in the middle of the car, could be your TOB.

Some proven bolt-ons are an off-road midpipe, plenum, and tune if you are looking at simple upgrades. I would skip pulleys and a CAI.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Regarding that CAI, I guess for $46 it's worth a shot. Don't be surprised though if the chrome finish doesn't hold up forever though, I've heard tales of them bubbling and rusting. Looks basically the same as the BBK fenderwell (#1718) which I've had on my car for a long time and it still looks as pretty as the day I put it on.

Regarding pulleys, I almost wanna say don't bother. They do almost nothing on these cars. That said, if you're gonna do it then go with a set constructed of steel and that uses an SFI approved dampener, rather than the less expensive "piggyback" type where your stock dampener is just bolted on to the front of your new crank pulley. I still have 2/3 of an aluminum BBK piggyback pulley kit on my car, it was the very first mod I did. It has been problem free (some people have issues with bad crankshaft position sensor signal with piggybacks) BUT you'll notice I said I have "2/3" of it still on my car.... Go into my profile and look up my threads, I made detailed one a couple years ago with pics about the issue I had with the water pump pulley, after reading you'll see why I say to get steel and not aluminum. You could always paint them anyway, so...

My advice, if I were in your shoes I would get a tb/plenum combo, midpipe, gears and tuner. I've been at this for a while and have every bolt-on except headers and I can assure you that everything else beyond those items is pretty lame. Then start working suspension/chassis and brakes and after that start pooling your finances for a blower or N2O. You can actually do a supercharger for much less than you might think if you stay away from the pre-packaged kits and get everything separately. I'm in the midst of putting together a parts list for my car, the most expensive thing is the head unit (about $2200 if you buy brand new). After that it's maybe a $grand at the most for all the other odds n' ends which you can purchase one at a time until you have it all together, then a weekend to put it all in. That's the only way you'll ever get any real power out of these cars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for the information, that is why I took to the forms to ask these simple questions. I am assuming also Jon that it might be the throw out bearing too... I was hoping it wouldn't be but I can't deny if it wasn't anyways, I will definitely be looking into each of the mods you listed! Socal, my question is do you think its worth the CAI? You don't seem impressed so I'm assuming that it wouldn't be a good idea to waste on the car

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I ask you guys to possibly find some of the stuff that you would be interested in me getting like the URL for it? Reason is I am trying to find a Mid-pipe so I can look into it for couple months but can't find anything for the Mustang only for the F150

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts