Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, you guys may have seen from my introduction thread that I have an custom steering wheel center cap. I decided to switch mine out because the original one started to oxidize and bubble :thumbdown
Plus I wanted a more Shelby style cap anyway. I ordered a center cap for a '67 Shelby mustang wheel from Mustangs Plus. It was like 10 bucks if I remember right. It's just a paper thin piece of aluminum with the cobra raised a little bit. When I got it in the mail, I realized it wouldn't just fit where the old one was and look right. I needed some kind of "trim" piece. Went to home depot...(I know dont' judge me :shigrin) Found out that the center cap fit PERFECTLY in a 2in stainless kitchen drain flange (no I'm not kidding) So, I cut out a piece of cardboard to hold the center cap in the flange. Then I used wide 3M tape on the back and built it up a little so the flange would sit level with the steering wheel. It came out great! And it's never moved or fallen off. If Shelby isn't your taste you can do this project for even cheaper if you have a band saw and a little patience. Instead of the shelby cap, get a piece of scrap 1/8 in. thick plexiglass from your hardware store, cut a circle out of it that fits exactly in the hole of the drain flange.(you may have to use sandpaper to get it JUST right) Then print out any design you want on your steering wheel on Photo paper, put the paper between the plexiglass and the cardboard and use 3M tape just like above and whoala! any design you want on your steering wheel! (I used this method before using a genuine Shelby cap) If you guys have any questions about the specifics, let me know. Happy Modding! :bigthumbsup

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
wow everytime i hear the words "did it my self" and "homedepot" than i wonder.. but i have to say thumbs up:bigthumbsup it looks great!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wonder what will happen if the airbag goes off. Does look good tho.
HA! You're definitely not the first person that's asked me that :laugh: The original cap is metal too actually, prob not a lot of ppl would know that unles they removed it like I did. Guess I'll have a Shelby Cobra imprinted on my forehead If that ever happens :yelwacko:

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi you guys, I'm a newbie to this forum and I have to say, sweet steering wheel emblem! I have designed a modern yet retro looking Eleanor Mustang concept, yet need to win the lottery first to get it built, and to get the body as well as getting a license... but if you guys wanna see the design I have in mind, here is the link to my youtube vid that I did of it My Custom Eleanor Mustang Design Concept - YouTube

and yes, I am a Knight Rider fan as well....

I was wondering though, how much the emblem $ and how easy it was to fit into your steering wheel....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts