Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently purchased a second Mustang. A 2003 GT with the 2V 4.6 . I dont know much about the 4.6 ( yet ) and was wondering if the Eaton M122 that is used on the 4V 4.6 Cobra would fit ? Would the lower intake off the Cobra fit the 4.6 2V.
Has anyone on the forum placed an Eaton supercharger on the 2V 4.6 ?

Thanks for any help

Mel

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Hi,

I recently purchased a second Mustang. A 2003 GT with the 2V 4.6 . I dont know much about the 4.6 ( yet ) and was wondering if the Eaton M122 that is used on the 4V 4.6 Cobra would fit ? Would the lower intake off the Cobra fit the 4.6 2V.
Has anyone on the forum placed an Eaton supercharger on the 2V 4.6 ?

Thanks for any help

Mel

you've actually listed 2 different superchargers; the m112 is on the 4.6L 4v on the 03-04 cobra and the m122 is on the 5.4L 4v GT500.

im not sure if either one will fit, i've never heard of anyone having done it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've heard of people doing this, some guy at my school had a cobra supercharger on his v6. supposedly all you need is the intake manifold, the throttle body, and the little nick nacks connected tot he supercharger and you can put one on your car. IMHO i would sell the eaton and try to get a kenne bell:happyhapp

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I've heard of people doing this, some guy at my school had a cobra supercharger on his v6. supposedly all you need is the intake manifold, the throttle body, and the little nick nacks connected tot he supercharger and you can put one on your car. IMHO i would sell the eaton and try to get a kenne bell:happyhapp
SSM sells the lower intake manifold that lets you mount an m112 onto a split-port 3.8L.

i havent heard of anyone putting the m112 onto a 4.6L 2v.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Eaton 112's are all over Ebay, ranging from $400 to 800..it just seems like a great power adder for a really good price. I just added the parts of roughly and it appears to be around $ 2000.00 for all the parts you would need.....well off to do some more research...there must be an intake out there somewhere.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
That's one job, I've never tackled. But you can contact Al Papitto, from BOSS 330 Racing if anyone knows mod motors he does. His web site is ( www.boss330racing.com ), their out of Vero Beach, Florida. Good luck, Mike, SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
There are at least 2 serious companies selling kits to do the swap. To do it RIGHT, there are quite a few parts, in addition to the 112 and the intake manifold. You are also talking about various brackets (lots of these), a new serpentine belt, new tensioner, and so on. I used to know the company name of one of them (has "tech or tec" in the name somewhere). I'll dig it out and post it here...

The results are pretty good. You don't end up with the 03/04 DOHC Cobra, but its a healthy power increase, similar to a basic centrifugal install. NOT the equivilant of a modern twin screw, of course, but somewhat cheaper.

UPDATE: Got it. "Tork Tech" (awful name, imo).

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=tork+tech&page=1&qsrc=0&ab=0&u=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.torktech.com%2F

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=tork+tech&page=1&qsrc=0&ab=0&u=http://shop.torktech.com/ if you already have your own M112. Looks like its not exactly complete. You will also need to find a Cobra IC tank (intercooler coolant), plus...

This kit is intended to be very budget oriented. For that reason we are not including several items you will need for a successful installation, but may already have or can purchase in good used condition. You will need the following items but they are not included in our kit. Several of them we do offer separately and they are shown under our "Related Products" links.

Larger fuel injectors to meet what ever HP/TQ level you achieve. We expect most who use this kit will easily achieve 350 to 400 HP, depending upon boost level so TTI suggests at least 42# injectors.
Upgraded in-tank fuel pump.
Air to water heat exchanger.
Fluid pump to transfer coolant between the intercooler core and the heat exchanger.
Fluid reservoir to allow for a place to add coolant and check fluid level.
Coolant lines, hose clamps, engine belts, etc. are not included since we do not know what you plan to use for a heat exchanger, or where you will be mounting it.
Complete intake assembly, such as a throttle body, intake tube, MAFS, and filter.
Custom computer tune
LOL, not exactly what I would call a project for the beginner! And I would bottom line the whole list (including whatever the M112 costs, PLUS the partial kit from these guys at what, $1895 plus shipping, PLUS the various items on the list).

Looks like not much of a bargain, when compared to a ProCharger rig or a basic Twin Screw.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am a welder/pipefitter by trade so it would be a fun project. I have owned lots of muscle cars over the years, but this is my first 4.6...the plastic intake cracks me up.

The only part that isnt cheap for this set up is the intake..the rest of the parts are all over Ebay and the salvage yards...doing the work myself I think I can come in for under $ 2000.00.

Thanks guys for the links..you got me going in the right direction....

oh by the way..where are the plugs on this silly 4.6 engine...just kidding found them

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Single Turbo

i would rather spend the money and get this kit.

On 3 Performance Mustang GT 2v 96-04 Single Turbo Kit:eBay Motors (item 130311837662 end time Jun-16-09 21:17:32 PDT)

may not be a supercharger but it also makes sweet power for cheap on a 2V
Note that, once again, it does not include a lot that is needed to do the install, like:

QA1 tubular K kit and coil overs $1089

MAF Kit $204

Injectors $250-300

SCT Chip $325

Custom Tune $500 at a good shop that knows how to do turbos

Plus the Turbo kit, $1795...

Say $4200 or so, plus labor if you don't do it all yourself.

Frankly, its not a really sanitary looking single turbo install - I have seen others where the turbo is NOT jam up against the back of the radiator and located very close to the leading edge of the hood (that bugger gets hot).

Its not a bad list of parts, and there was some thought given to the effort, but I would still look at the offerings from people like www.modularpowerhouse.com first to get some idea of what can happen.

Or talk to the AFM sponsors who deal in this sort of equipment. Visit their forums here and ask them about the situation.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
M112 on a 2V has been done, results yielded 402rwhp on an otherwise stock longblock and a safe tune for under $3000. I was impressed.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Use a Tork-Tech intake manifold. Then any 03/04 Blower will fit on to that intake manifold.

·
Registered
377 Posts
M112 on a 2V has been done, results yielded 402rwhp on an otherwise stock longblock and a safe tune for under $3000. I was impressed.
+1 theres a yellow gt with an eaton ive seen somewhere around

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
+1 theres a yellow gt with an eaton ive seen somewhere around
yep, that's the one, he's from here in my town, and I followed the progress closely with him. I was expecting somewhere around 360rwhp honestly. But when it hit the rollers and put down 402 on a conservative pump gas tune, my jaw dropped.

He isn't using the torktech manifold though, his was a one-off prototype that uses the Cobra intercooler for simplicity. There's a ton of people with a lot more money into their superchargers that aren't making 402 on a stock longblock, so I was very impressed.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Are you guys sure you're talking about the same local car?

One of you is from California, and one from North Carolina...

That guy gets around! Or do you mean the car has been in the magazines?

But back on topic, the 400hp is pretty much in line with the claims TorkTech (and the other guys I can't remember the name of right now) make for their kits as well. Having seen Cobras hit 500hp with little more than a pulley swap, some bolt-ons and a tune, I would call that do-able, I really would.

I lack the skillz to fabricate such a complex intake and intercooler rig from scratch, but my hat's off to anyone who does.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I believe he was talking about seeing pictures around the internet. Since it was talked about so much, but only finished once so far, I believe the pics have circulated. He's going to be at Mustang week, and he's been contacted by MM&FF about doing a shoot on his car down there, so I'm sure there will be even more around the net about it.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I believe he was talking about seeing pictures around the internet. Since it was talked about so much, but only finished once so far, I believe the pics have circulated. He's going to be at Mustang week, and he's been contacted by MM&FF about doing a shoot on his car down there, so I'm sure there will be even more around the net about it.
Interesting. I'd like to read their article when it comes out. Now that I think about it, I did see a pictorial write up in some internet magazine (Mustang Monthly?) that featured a hand-built aluminum intake for the 2v.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Guys,

I was scanning around Ebay this morning before work and there are some really cool intakes/adapters/spacers for the 4.6 2V. There is an intake / lower adapter for sale that allows you to use any 5.0 intake on the 4.6. That seems pretty cool.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.