Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to know if ecu chips really enhance power at all my friends tell me the hardy do anything and websites say they give u great performance boosts

G

·
Are u referring to something like superchips? They are made to a generic car, say one chip would work on all say 98 mustangs, and are best used for stock applications. I dont have any personal experience with them but i am sure they give minimal improvements. Modded or not, u are best to go with a custome tune like SCT because even every 98 is not exactly the same and if u get it dynoed tune u will see very good results, but even a mail order chip from a reliable tuner can give good results and can also be used later to turn off MILS due to offroad midpip and if u get different size tires or gears, it can recalibrate the 99+ auto cars, as this is the only way to fix the speedo after one of these installs or if u ever get a dynoe tune, u will allready have the chip.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
mbhmustang1998 said:
.....and can also be used later to turn off MILS due to offroad midpip and if u get different size tires or gears, it can recalibrate the 99+ auto cars, as this is the only way to fix the speedo after one of these installs or if u ever get a dynoe tune, u will allready have the chip.
This is the main reason I am looking to buy one. If the Speedcal is $99 and MIL Eliminators are $60, I can spend another $100 and get a used Predator off of ebay and still get a small gain in power. Plus I have heard MIL Eliminators go bad after a while, so why worry about it.

I do have one question though. Does the SCT Xcalibrator2 come with a Performance tune for mostly stock vehicles like the Predator does? If so, which stock tune is better? The articles I have read only mention custom tunes for the SCT. I figuered I would save the custom tune for the supercharger, If I ever get one :rolleyes: .

G

·
FunkyBoss said:
This is the main reason I am looking to buy one. If the Speedcal is $99 and MIL Eliminators are $60, I can spend another $100 and get a used Predator off of ebay and still get a small gain in power. Plus I have heard MIL Eliminators go bad after a while, so why worry about it.

I do have one question though. Does the SCT Xcalibrator2 come with a Performance tune for mostly stock vehicles like the Predator does? If so, which stock tune is better? The articles I have read only mention custom tunes for the SCT. I figuered I would save the custom tune for the supercharger, If I ever get one :rolleyes: .

I am partial to SCT being that i have a SCT tune and i hear more about SCT everyday. I think u will be happy with an sct tune now and when u get mods later if u dont have it dyno tuned, (which i highly recommend with a blower) u can get new tunes sent via email to upload in the tuner for a small price. I dont know whether u have a auto or 5 speed, but the autos gain even more potential with the tunes then the 5 speed does, well being that they can do stuff to the tranny via the computer and tune that they cant do for the 5 speed.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I'll throw a vote in for the Predator. When I got mine tuned to fix the A/F ratio, I picked up 40rwhp and 50 ft-lbs torque. Keep in mind that the tune also set the timing way advanced and that added a lot of power. It's easy to use and DiabloSport keeps developing updates for the module itself that you can download.

G

·
BlueStreak03 said:
I'll throw a vote in for the Predator. When I got mine tuned to fix the A/F ratio, I picked up 40rwhp and 50 ft-lbs torque. Keep in mind that the tune also set the timing way advanced and that added a lot of power. It's easy to use and DiabloSport keeps developing updates for the module itself that you can download.

40 RWHP and 50 FT-LBS? Not being mean, but are u serious? Thats like 60 horsepower gain to the motor for a tune?? That doesnt seem right at all. Heck if it gains that much ill switch to predator!

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
You can check the dyno sheets in my gallery. The very first dyno run I ever did is the lower one. Once I put the TB/ plenum on, those numbers dropped to 225/265ish. Remember, my A/F ratio was jacked up when the first runs were done so I was losing power with the Tb/plenum combo. Once I got the A/F ratio fixed and cranked up the timing and made sure it was all streetable, the numbers in my sig were the endgame results.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
I have been leaning towards the Predator, I just want to make sure I make the right choice. Hey Bluestreak, did you ever install the tune that comes with the predator, or did you go strait to a custom tuner? Again, the main reason for the unit is to correct the speedo for the gear (and tires eventually) and turn off the rear O2's, any power gains is just icing on the cake. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Yeah I used the canned tune that comes with the predator. I noticed a small improvement, not much though. It's really easy to correct the speedo for new gears and turn off the O2's also.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
I guess I'll stick with the original plan and go with the Predator. If need be, VA Beach is just a short hike down the road should I want a custom tune! Thanks again, you guys are great:winks .

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I went to Dyno Tuned Performance in Chesapeake to get mine done. I don't remember the number right off hand, but you can look them up on Yahoo. Ask for Brent, he's their tuner. The guys are really nice and easy to work with. Plus there's plenty of eye-candy to look at between pulls. They had a twin turbo 300Z and a turbo RX-7 on lifts when I was there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.