Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just picked my stang up last week and already have 1150 miles on it so I have taken several road trips along the way. Great fun to drive I have to say.

So, i ordered the magnaflow axle backs for now, and an acquaintance is selling a carbon fiber CAI and a SCT tuner. His was set up for the ECU code RUZ8, mine is XRD3. One thing i wanted to verify is the location of the ECU which is as you are looking at the front of the car it is the bottom most number on the tag correct and the ECU is on the front left side while the tag faces forward correct?

Do you think if i call BAMA and let them know they could change this for me? How much would they normally charge to do that?

thanks for your help. I can see golf expenditures going down and car expenditures going up! :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
The tunes are specifric to the car. Whgile you can use the tuner with your own tunes, you are going to have to purchase the tunes from BAMA and won't be eligible for the freee tunes for life program; If I understand correctly how it works. If that is a hang up for you, I would recommend just paying $379 to get your own tuner with free tunes for life. Otherwise, it's $150 for 3 new tunes for your code, and I think there may also be a fee to unlock it from the other car for you.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Hello all, just picked my stang up last week and already have 1150 miles on it so I have taken several road trips along the way. Great fun to drive I have to say.

So, i ordered the magnaflow axle backs for now, and an acquaintance is selling a carbon fiber CAI and a SCT tuner. His was set up for the ECU code RUZ8, mine is XRD3. One thing i wanted to verify is the location of the ECU which is as you are looking at the front of the car it is the bottom most number on the tag correct and the ECU is on the front left side while the tag faces forward correct?

Do you think if i call BAMA and let them know they could change this for me? How much would they normally charge to do that?

thanks for your help. I can see golf expenditures going down and car expenditures going up! :D
Correct on the location of the ECU and the Tag identification.

You want to make sure your friend restored his ECU to the stock tune with the SCT tuner. That will unlock the SCT tuner so it can be used on another car. There should be SCT tunes - 87 Octane and 93 Octane - that you can get from SCT (May already be on the tuner) and load from the SCT tuner immediately - no cost. Of course, his BAMA tunes will not load on your car. I believe BAMA charges about $150 to send you a set of three tunes for your car if you have purchased your tuner from someone other then them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tunes are specifric to the car. Whgile you can use the tuner with your own tunes, you are going to have to purchase the tunes from BAMA and won't be eligible for the freee tunes for life program; If I understand correctly how it works. If that is a hang up for you, I would recommend just paying $379 to get your own tuner with free tunes for life. Otherwise, it's $150 for 3 new tunes for your code, and I think there may also be a fee to unlock it from the other car for you.
Thanks for the info, and i kinda just had to look at americanmuscle.com to figure that out, so that was a rookie mistake LOL.

So, do you feel the strut tower brace you have improves your handling a little bit. Sometimes the assist feels like its a little mushy if that makes sense? And does your dealer give you a hard time about something like that? I know it can depend on the service department, but trying to be careful about things that cant be "undone" easily.

Joe

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've only had the strut brace on the car for a couple days now, and I honestly haven't done enough spirited driving with it to see a difference. I would say it feels a bit firmer with every day driving and I haven't noticed as much significant body roll since adding it, but then again, I think that could be more psychological than anythihng else. I'm looking to take some curves over the nxt couple of days, and can let you know once I've had the chance to really test it out.

I don't anticipate the dealer giving me a hassle over the strut brace, and honestly even if they did, they really couldn't do anything about it unless they can directly attribute it's addition to causing a problem. They'll have to take it off and put it back on when they go in to fix my engine tick, but I don't expect any flack at all. Should be routine.

There really isn't much as far as mods are concerned that you could do engine performance wise without opening the engine itself. So far I've seen the tuner, CAI, exhaust and supercharger, and I'm sure some sort of underdrive pulleys will come down the line eventually. The tuner is easy enough to cover by flashing back to stock and driving it for a few miles, and I've never heard of a warranty problem by adding a CAI or exhaust. Blowers are another beast entirely (IMO, if you can afford to add a supercharger, you should have just bought the GT), and if you blow the engine after adding a supercharger, you pretty much just lost your investment.

J

·
0 Posts
enjoy the JLT and Tune

Thanks for the info, and i kinda just had to look at americanmuscle.com to figure that out, so that was a rookie mistake LOL.

So, do you feel the strut tower brace you have improves your handling a little bit. Sometimes the assist feels like its a little mushy if that makes sense? And does your dealer give you a hard time about something like that? I know it can depend on the service department, but trying to be careful about things that cant be "undone" easily.

Joe
Radio Guy was right about the tuner, and the strut tower brace does make a difference in spirited driving or on the track, day to day driving you won't notice much difference maybe stays a little flatter/less roll going round corners. BTW I love my JLT and Bama tune, I know you'll enjoy yours!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts