Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I have been thinking to get some Edelbrock Heads
for my rebuilt 351c. It currently has an mild R.V cam,
Edelbrock intake manifold, Holley 670 cfm carb,
and Hooker headers. If I buy the heads will they bolt right up,
or am I going to have to replace the intake manifold and headers?
For anything else you want to know just ask!:)

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Everything should bolt right up. I'd keep the 670 CFM carb for a street performance package. This will assist in producing decent lower RPM torque. If you have a dual plane intake, keep it for the same reason as for the carb.

I can hear the responses now that you can get other Cleveland heads that are better for this reason and that, but in my opinion you should be fine with the Edelbrocks. They haven't even been on the market long enough for anyone to to really make a qualified decision as to how well they work. I would think that Edelbrock's R&D Dept can come up with a good product over some guy who's porting out stock heads in his garage and selling them on places like Ebay. So what if the Edelbrocks cost more. At least they have a phone number and address.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
the greek is right. i have not used the edelbrock cleveland heads yet, but i have looked at them. they are very nice! very well done. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
The edelbrocks are indeed nice, however I have been looking at ausfordparts.com, they have some much nicer ones in my opinion, 1750 for a complete pair with stainless valves as well. I havent paid yet but I think this is the way I want to go. I currently have 4v closed chambered heads now but nobody was making alum. when I built this thing 3 years ago.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes they are 2B heads.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The edelbrocks are indeed nice, however I have been looking at ausfordparts.com, they have some much nicer ones in my opinion, 1750 for a complete pair with stainless valves as well. I havent paid yet but I think this is the way I want to go. I currently have 4v closed chambered heads now but nobody was making alum. when I built this thing 3 years ago.
See the Aussi heads were my first idea, but than I wasnt sure if they would bolt right up, because at this time I do not have the
money to get an extra set of headers, intake manifold and whatever
else needs to be done. I am a starving college student, who works
at a grocery store! :shigrin

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Then in that case man just put a nice alum. intake on that 2V engine and drive the fool out of it. The aussie heads will bolt up to your existing stuff however I will have to use a .080" shim between the intake and block at the "s" gasket location, which I am prepared for but its a lot of money for nothing man unless you have a lot more cash to use the other "goodies" that will let you achieve any appreciable gains. my$.02
Good Luck

·
Registered
810 Posts
Perfect place for me say:

"You are on a tight budget you can make the same (or more) power levels out of stock heads with a little work than the Edlebrocks."

Anyway....since you are a tight budget you can make lotsa power out of your motor without forking out the money for heads at this time. You can build it up using the stock heads, hot rod it all through college add in the pricey parts like aluminum heads.

I've considered buying heads for my 410c (I'm running out of things to do to it ;) ) and the Edlebrocks are not on the list because the 4v iron I have now..I know out perform them except when it comes to weight. I like the CHI 4v and you do not need to buy anything special to run them. All your stock style/sized stuff will bolt up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perfect place for me say:

"You are on a tight budget you can make the same (or more) power levels out of stock heads with a little work than the Edlebrocks."

Anyway....since you are a tight budget you can make lotsa power out of your motor without forking out the money for heads at this time. You can build it up using the stock heads, hot rod it all through college add in the pricey parts like aluminum heads.

I've considered buying heads for my 410c (I'm running out of things to do to it ;) ) and the Edlebrocks are not on the list because the 4v iron I have now..I know out perform them except when it comes to weight. I like the CHI 4v and you do not need to buy anything special to run them. All your stock style/sized stuff will bolt up.

Thanks, for the advice.
I have already forked out more than 4000 on my car already, and
it seems like it wont stop anytime soon!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
If you want to wake it up this is DEFINATELY an avenue to consider:
Put in a 4R70W auto w/ lockup.
it has a lower 1st gear than a c4 and if you put in a 3.50 or 3.89 ring gear that thing will haul!!
The trans must come from a 98 to 01 v-6 mustang and the controller from Baumannengineering.com the electronics are plug and play ($550) and a junkyard low mileage trans for about 250 -500. any spring ar axle shop can shorten your driveshaft and you will need the yoke and converter from the junk car. I have been hammering on one of these for 2years now - and I mean hard with a 400hp cleveland and 3.89 posi and it is bulletproof - so far.
I think this trans is the best high performance secret to date - period! you will not even have to change the exhaust - or at least I did not, it clears nicely but the smaller 67-70 you have to re-do it. I have the trans mount - message me if you go this route.
So, Heads for 2K + or this trans set up for aound half. drop in some gears, quiet duals(so nobody thinks you have S--T) and you will burn down almost anything you come up against, I cant tell you how many 99-05 gt's and such I have pounded, and a couple of them could not believe an old - heavy - big mustang was at their front fender and never slacked up. Just my $.02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts