Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now i got a 65 289 c code with a few aftermarket stuff on it. edelbrock carburetor 600cfm, performer 289 manifold, tri y headers and patronix ignition and its a c4 automatic. Im looking at getting the performer plus cam and edelbrock performer heads. Does anyone run this and how much of a difference in low end to midrange torque does it make? More interested in low end than top end. Would this be a good setup?

·
0 Posts
I couldn't give you any concrete numbers, but if all you're wanting is cheap, reliable street power, that would actually be a great setup.

The key to getting what you want out of any engine is knowing what your target is, and matching ALL the parts to reach that target.

So if your target is more power for the street, with possible entry-level strip time involved, then yes, that'd be a great setup. It'd got plenty of low-end and mid-range torque and a decent little bump in horsepower to boot.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Somewhere on their website Edelbrock actually has a dyno graph of a 302 with E-street heads, Performer intake and cam, and matching carb. It's a 302 so it will be making a little more HP and torque than you're 289, but you'll at least get an idea of how much of an improvement over stock it was.

At any rate, that's a really bulletproof set up if you went with it. You would be real happy with it and it's about as by the book as you can get.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have everything except the E-Street heads. Excellent cheap bolt on power. I definitely notice a little more grunt in the lower RPMs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whats the difference between the performer heads and e street heads? which would produce more power with the setup

·
Registered
173 Posts
I run performer RPM heads with an air gap intake performer plus cam , JBA shorties ,thunder series carb and 3:55 in the back. The heads bring this car to life mid range and keeps pulling to red line. To get the most use 2 1/2 exhaust......you won't be dissapointed

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
the E-streets use a little cheaper parts, still good, just not compatible with hydraulic roller cam. the power would be the same.

·
Registered
163 Posts
IM def not a big fan of Edelbrock carbs...I have a 600 on my 68 and have had problems keeping it tuned......

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have everything you just mentioned minus the heads on my 289. You will lose a slight amount of tq going with that camshaft.

what kind of tq converter do you have? I run a 2500 stall right now and it matches up pretty effectively. If you have a lower stall on your tq converter then I would at least match that.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Keep in mind that using the E street heads will lower your compression. The combustion chamber on those is 60cc whereas the stock heads have 54cc. The c code engines had dished pistons. Putting the E street head on and not swapping out pistons will lower compression roughly one full point. Just my .02 and please correct me if I am wrong

·
Registered
264 Posts
Keep in mind that using the E street heads will lower your compression. The combustion chamber on those is 60cc whereas the stock heads have 54cc. The c code engines had dished pistons. Putting the E street head on and not swapping out pistons will lower compression roughly one full point. Just my .02 and please correct me if I am wrong
well it's easy enough to deck the head to help balance that out. Just can't deck it too much or you'll have to worry about valve clearance issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts