Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone familiar with the Edelbrock Top End Kits?

Edelbrock 2091#

Even thier website claims 367hp/340lbs (i assume at the crank) I was just curious if this kit is really worth the $1880 price tag. Will that cam be smooth or have a chop to it? Will Tri-y headers bolt to those heads? It just sounds too good to be true. I mean if it does, then that will really make my little stang scream!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have heard good things about those top end kits. I feel like for that pricerange, you could get some AFR's with the cam of your choice. It will likely be more powerful but the edelbrock i feel is a good way to easy power. If you feel like its a good deal, get it:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well let me ask you this, how much weight will i save by going with alum heads?

·
Registered
527 Posts
I think that would be a great combination. Especially with the carb you already have. A lot of bang for the buck. Are you rebuilding the whole engine? Get some flat top pistons if you are, and it will really wake it up. That cam will probably have a moderate idle. It will be noticeable but not crazy rough.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The weight you will save isn't too substantial, however you will be able to run hotter timing because aluminum dissapates the heat much better than cast, and therefore lessens the chance of pre-detination.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The savings in weight will be about 20 - 30 pounds.
The heads have more efficient chambers so your timing will be fine - if you increase the timing by much over a standard performance curve you will run the risk of preignition - detonation is not a concern as much as with iron heads.
The top end kit will provide you with a substantial increase IF you install good long tube headers, complete exhaust with larger mufflers and the matching carb for the kit.

You have to remember that no one part or small group of parts will make more power - the engine is a combination of systems that work together to make HP. Everything in and on your engine has to be matched to make the optimal HP.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am leaning towards the POWERHEADS, but i just came across this and was looking for input. No, im not rebuilding it, im just looking to make this thing faster. But i dont want the choppy idle. I want it to be smooth like it is now. So i guess ill just keep with the POWERHEADS idea.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Take a look at some AFR Street Outlaw Heads. They will work well with your carb and intake. There are several cams out there that won't affect your idle a so much. You could also go with a higher ratio rocker arms.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do you mean higher ratio rocker arms? What will that do? And the reason im going with the POWERHEADS, is because of the CC's. Everyone says if i go bigger then stock combustion chamber i will loose compression. I dont want that. But please explain to me what you mean by rocker arm ratio change? My stockers are what, 1.6 right?

·
Registered
172 Posts
The setup I run is the 289 bored +30, Edelbrock RPM heads, Air Gap intake, Performer cam, Petronix distributor , Performer 600 cfm carb, JBA shorties 2 1/2 stainless magnaflow exhaust ,AOD trans (built to be punished ) and 3:55 in the rear. This engine comes to life at 4000 RPM , pulls hard through out and is very driveable. Don't mess with rocker ratios and high duration cams need taller rear end gears if you want to keep the bottom end. Like someone said in another post , everything has to work together so if your not sure call Edelbrocks tech line. One more thing, Edelbrock stands behind thier product for life !

Ric

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ricky,

NO offence, but for me that is pointless. Ive got a stock 289 with mods listed in my sig. If i dont get any power till 4k then i only get about 1k or so rpms worth of power. i mean this thing tops out at what 5-5500 rpm before it shifts right? I dont do alot of freeway driving, i mean i do once in a while but i want/need the speed and power to be there from bottom and mid, not waiting till the last minute at top end.

·
Registered
527 Posts
A higher ratio rocker arm will give you a little more lift and help the valve open faster to allow more fuel into the chamber. You probably have a 1.6, and can go to a 1.7.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah but would that work with stock pistons?

·
Registered
527 Posts
With a mild cam it should be fine. With the aftermarket heads you are talking about, you don't have to worry about your valve springs either. Stock pistons are usually deeper, so they should actually allow for more valve travel.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
if you buy the edelbrock performer kit it is designed to work from idle to 5500 rpm. your horsepower numbers will be a bit lower but they will be in a much more streetable rpm band.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just came across these...what do you think? Anyone have any input or experience with them? I emailed the guy and asked if they would fit a 289 and he said if i wanted a pair he "could make them work". Whatever that means. But just read the discriptions, ported with stock valve size for neck snping off the line? Sounds like a good price if it does what its suppose to...

http://www.hunterstyle.com/thumper/combos.php

·
Registered
520 Posts
Although that route may be cheaper but there is no way a set of ported e7's are going to compete with some edelbrock aluminum heads. I feel like those cams in there are for racing, not street driving. I mean, .600 lift? Also, make sure your bottom end of the motor can take all that beating before you think about 350+ horsepower. Also something that i couldn't stress enough is the fact that power is pointless if you transmission and rear end cant take it. I believe stock c4's are good till about 300 torque but someone correct me if im wrong. Blow the transmission and your screwed:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so it looks like im gonna want to go ahead and stick with the POWERHEADS and leave it at that.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I still think the edelbrock top end is the way to go. Which Powerheads are you going to buy? the e7's? You will dump a grand on those heads and it doesn't even come with a cam. I just feel like if your going to spend over 1500 dollars, do it the right way you know? Also, If you keep your stock cam and just swap the heads its not going to do much for you. The flow on the aluminum heads are going to make up for the larger chambers, and will just outperform and still be somewhat of a good driver. Actually, i would get an e303 cam and some edelbrock e street heads, i feel like that would be the perfect combo for you. Get the heads for a grand and the cam for a couple hundred. Just remember, you will probably need hardended pushrods and many other parts to go with it.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The Edelbrock stuff you have is already a good starting point. All you need is a little more cam to take advantage of what you have. Edelbrock makes a cam for the intake that you have. The heads that you are using are stock, right? Those are the same heads that were on the 271 HP 289. You can easily pick up more power by just adding a cam.

New heads will still limit your power to the cam you are running. A waste of time unless you add a bigger cam anyway, so just add the cam and go from there.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts