Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of effect (besides looks of course) will putting 20" rims on the stang have?
-Will loss of "ride comfort" occur, if so will it be drastic?
-Will the larger rims produce more noise inside the car (had this happen to me with my old car)?
-Will 20's rub or will they fit just fine.If they wont how about 19"s.

and yes i know that the stang is a muscle car and muscle cars do not traditionally have 20" rims. however this stang is a modern muscle car; with the right 20" rims it will look good (just my opinion).

-thanks guys

·
Registered
403 Posts
my Mark VII LSC had 16's from factory- put 15" centerlines on and ride vastly improved(sized tires to keep close to same diameter). Extra 1/2 inch of sidewall made ride like different car- wheels/tires were about same weight as original. treadwidth similar too.

My 65 galaxie had 15" bias plys- put late model 16x7 crown vic 'handling pkg' wheels on radials- it too rides like a different car- softer radials made huge difference. Lighter weight rims should have made ride worse(less unsprung weight reacts quicker to bumps- on equal tires, heavier rims will ride better), but the weight was WAY offest by softer(yet shorter) sidewalls.

13 inch or 22 inch. I wouldnt worry much about the rim diameter number- the numbers that affect ride most are sidewall height and tire/wheel weight. Lighter rides rougher, shorter sidewalls ride rougher. tires with big soft treadblocks will ride better than slicks.
My guess is changing from 17-20 inch rims, weight wouldnt change by a lot(unless one were steel) but 1.5 inches less sidewall would really rough up the ride over little things like seams in the road. harsh ride also is bad for the car- the increased bumps you feel have been damped out thru suspension bushings- they get a far worse beating. cars with urethane bushings will handle like on rails, but lack of suspension bushing compliance could even lead to stress cracks in the chassis.
I might be a dinosaur, but I still think a 15" rim with around 28" tire diameter 'looks about right' in proportions. to me a 28" tire with 20" rims looks like a worn out towmotor tire- expect they ride similar too...seen a few VERY cool big wheeled cars that looked 'right' too, but bet the ride really suffers a bunch- I thought my old camaro rode like a skateboard- surely anything with under 50-series tires would be even worse...

N

·
0 Posts
heres the problem...i didnt really notice that much of a difference but brother dont hit a bump with em...mine bent and after a few years they dont make the same rims anymore from a factory..the rims bend at 18= cause there isnt as much rubber to buffer them on bumps

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I have 19's and they do ride rough... of course if the road is smooth they are awesome for handling but hit a small (pot)hole, even the joints in a concrete highway, or to a bridge, etc. is really felt, and heard!

I have 275-19-35 around which comes to OM overall size, it aslo happends to be the widest rubber you can fit on 19's in front without rubbing at full steeringwheel input... I would have liked smaller infront but it was an economical desition as I can rotate them now...

I have quite pricey tires as I just had to have Michelins especially since I'm going to drive it year around, dry and wet, even a few days in/on snow... Oh, they are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, and should be the best (?) regarding all conditions (combo tire), wet and dry handeling, some winter driving, AND wear! There is definately more road noise!

I should mention I have the Eibach Pro springs too helping to roughen the ride... The Anti-Roll kit I thought was going to make it worse but it made it better! I installed it together with a Bump-Steer kit so that might have helped too...??

Here are some pics of my setup, obviously I like the big wheels on the new mustang! Especially with the lowering kits!

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
draekus said:
What kind of effect (besides looks of course) will putting 20" rims on the stang have?
-Will loss of "ride comfort" occur, if so will it be drastic?
-Will the larger rims produce more noise inside the car (had this happen to me with my old car)?
-Will 20's rub or will they fit just fine.If they wont how about 19"s.

and yes i know that the stang is a muscle car and muscle cars do not traditionally have 20" rims. however this stang is a modern muscle car; with the right 20" rims it will look good (just my opinion).

-thanks guys
With the larger rims (20") you will most likely have to run a shorter tire. That being said it will corner great due to a much stiffer sidewall but your ride will suffer. As well as more possibilities to damage the rim on bad roads.

As for fit, with a shorter tire it should fit fine. The Saleens are running 275/40/20's all the way around.

As for performance, a lot will depend on the wieght of the wheel. Unsprung weight is something that the engine will have to make up for, so most likey you will lose some time in the 1/4.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yea at the Ford dealership here in Houston they have a black 06 GT with 22" DUBS on it and the sidewall is only 0.9 inches so the wheel is practically riding on the road i think that that is just retarted.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I had 20's on the Mustang when I bought it. Rode real rough and that was with some tires that were 45's and should have been 35's to keep the right diameter. I can't imagine what the 35 tires would have felt like. I now have 18's with 255/45's and the ride is almost stock over bumps (I can't tell a difference anymore except when I'm flying around the traffic circles at WAY above the suggested 20mph).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, thanks for all your help and comments.
I think i'll stick to something smaller now, maybe just 18"s. My stang is a daily driver for me so the increased road noise and rough ride isnt something i want to put up with on a day to day basis.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts