Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting the springs installed tomorrow and am second guessing whether to do this or not......any insight or things I should think about?

$217 for the kit
$175 for the install

Have the CAI and tuner already in!

·
Banned
1,104 Posts
Just springs? Would highly recommend doing a quality set of dampers (shocks N struts) matched for those new spring rates at the same time.:bigthumbsup

Also do you have an adjustable UCA? Your pinion angle will need corrected once you lower. Might want to think about getting an adjustable PHB too for re-centering that rear axle.

Also, did you get camber bolts or the HD strut mounts to allow enough play to correct your front end alignment?

What about LCA relocation brackets? If you lower without them you're LCA's are going to be in a bit of "tail up" position. Terrible for straight line traction (gonna make you wheel hop).

Lowering changes the geometry of everything ya know. :yup:

-HD

·
Registered
31 Posts
thats a lot to think about.... lol

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I'd postpone that install until you think about the suggestions (some are almost requirements) that HD pointed out.

While adding the LCA relocation brackets, get some good moly LCA's to replace the stockers.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I've never had problems with JUST lowering springs lol. Unless it's like a huge drop (over 2") and your a performance fanatic/ perfectionist I wouldn't worry about the huge freaking complicated list of supsension parts you will die without haha :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I've never had problems with JUST lowering springs lol. Unless it's like a huge drop (over 2") and your a performance fanatic/ perfectionist I wouldn't worry about the huge freaking complicated list of supsension parts you will die without haha :bigthumbsup
So which lowering springs do you have? You didnt mention and they're not in your mod list :?:

It's not a "huge freaking complicated list," I installed every one of those parts in less than half a day.

With the Eibach Pro springs and stock dampers (totally unmatched), your car will ride and handle like crap. If the OP is fine with that, it's his call.

Without the camber bolts or plates, you will likely not be able to get your alignment (camber) within spec. There goes more handling trouble plus tire wear. This is cheap and easy to do so who not correct it properly? Going to an alignment shop without these means you'll leave $80 short and still have alignment out of spec.

The adjustable UCA should be included anytime you lower you car because your pinion angle WILL be off.

If you don't care about wheel hop and not being able to get traction (not as much a prob with stock V6's like yours), skip the LCA's and relocation brackets. Most DO care about this though....once they experience it.

Like HD said, lowering a car changes geometries that you need to correct. Not doing so means you don't care about anything except the "look." None of this has to do with being a "perfectionist," it's about doing things properly :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
So which lowering springs do you have? You didnt mention and they're not in your mod list :?:

It's not a "huge freaking complicated list," I installed every one of those parts in less than half a day.

With the Eibach Pro springs and stock dampers (totally unmatched), your car will ride and handle like crap. If the OP is fine with that, it's his call.

Without the camber bolts or plates, you will likely not be able to get your alignment (camber) within spec. There goes more handling trouble plus tire wear. This is cheap and easy to do so who not correct it properly? Going to an alignment shop without these means you'll leave $80 short and still have alignment out of spec.

The adjustable UCA should be included anytime you lower you car because your pinion angle WILL be off.

If you don't care about wheel hop and not being able to get traction (not as much a prob with stock V6's like yours), skip the LCA's and relocation brackets. Most DO care about this though....once they experience it.

Like HD said, lowering a car changes geometries that you need to correct. Not doing so means you don't care about anything except the "look." None of this has to do with being a "perfectionist," it's about doing things properly :bigthumbsup
Okay dude I was just saying that I've never had problems with dropping my cars a couple with just springs. On my '01 Eclipse GT and '01 GTI 1.8T. No alignment or strut probs, but true, they're different makes and models so you probably know more than me. Just thought I'd put my two cents in, I kind of thought that's what forums are about.

You seem like you're pretty pissed off and defensive but I just want to let you know I'm not trying to attack you or anything.

And come on man don't bash on my "stock v6" :bigthumbsup hahaha. Haterrrrr

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
With the pro kit you should only need a adj. Phb and maybe camber bolts if your camber is not within spec.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
You seem like you're pretty pissed off and defensive but I just want to let you know I'm not trying to attack you or anything.

And come on man don't bash on my "stock v6" :bigthumbsup hahaha. Haterrrrr
Not pissed, defensive, hater, V6 basher, or anything like that (why would I be?). Just saying it was kinda clear you weren't as knowledgable about lowering an S197 Mustang or what it entailed. That's what we're talking here, not VW's or Mitsubishis, so chiming in on your experience with those is apples and oranges and not helpful to the OP :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
With the pro kit you should only need a adj. Phb and maybe camber bolts if your camber is not within spec.
He was talking about replacing springs only, not the whole kit :bigthumbsup

Adj PHB may or may not be needed, I'd personally leave that till last to determine whether it's warranted.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Not pissed, defensive, hater, V6 basher, or anything like that (why would I be?). Just saying it was kinda clear you weren't as knowledgable about lowering an S197 Mustang or what it entailed. That's what we're talking here, not VW's or Mitsubishis, so chiming in on your experience with those is apples and oranges and not helpful to the OP :bigthumbsup
:violin

I never meant for it to come off like I had lowered an s197, I was just trying to help from my previous experience.. anyways... :hijacked: lol

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
He was talking about replacing springs only, not the whole kit :bigthumbsup

Adj PHB may or may not be needed, I'd personally leave that till last to determine whether it's warranted.
He's asking about the eibach pro kit hence when I typed pro kit that's what I was referring too bud. That's the name eibach gave their 1.3F and 1.4R lowering spring kit. With a change of springs camber plates or bolts maybe needed if the camber isn't within spec as I had stated before. Yes you could get ucas and lcas but they're not really needed for a 1.3 inch drop.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
He's asking about the eibach pro kit hence when I typed pro kit that's what I was referring too bud. That's the name eibach gave their 1.3F and 1.4R lowering spring kit.
Sorry bud, I assumed Eibach Pro "kits" were just that, kits that included not just springs but also dampers, swaybars, etc, you know, for like $1300-1500. Those were/are good because the springs were matched to the dampers.

I just assumed the OP got ahold of the springs alone, which sounds like he did from your explanation, then was about to mate them up with stock dampers. I still think that will be bad for both ride and performance.

Anywho, apologies for the confusion.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Sorry bud, I assumed Eibach Pro "kits" were just that, kits that included not just springs but also dampers, swaybars, etc, you know, for like $1300-1500. Those were/are good because the springs were matched to the dampers.

I just assumed the OP got ahold of the springs alone, which sounds like he did from your explanation, then was about to mate them up with stock dampers. I still think that will be bad for both ride and performance.

Anywho, apologies for the confusion.
It's cool man, just a little confusion. Although I will agree the ride quality will decrease.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts