Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Eibach pro kit worth the extra $80 over the Ford B springs?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't have any experience with Ford's B-Springs (nor have I heard of them). But I do have the Eibach Pro-Kit on my car and for a daily driver, I couldn't be happier. It lowers the car to lose that ugly fenderwell gap, yet you don't have to worry as much about speed-bumps and stuff as you would with a more dramatic drop (you still need to take them slow and sometimes at an angle, but at least you don't need CC plates and all that). And if you have the cash...also buy a set of 315's for the rear! It looks so amazing with the Pro-Kit's drop and fits perfectly:thumbup

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
spazzyfry123 said:
I don't have any experience with Ford's B-Springs (nor have I heard of them). But I do have the Eibach Pro-Kit on my car and for a daily driver, I couldn't be happier. It lowers the car to lose that ugly fenderwell gap, yet you don't have to worry as much about speed-bumps and stuff as you would with a more dramatic drop (you still need to take them slow and sometimes at an angle, but at least you don't need CC plates and all that). And if you have the cash...also buy a set of 315's for the rear! It looks so amazing with the Pro-Kit's drop and fits perfectly:thumbup
Thanks Spazzy! What exactly are 317's?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Has anybody used the MRT springs? have seen couple of articles, not recent, but said good things about ride quality. $209 -- Larry's the proud owner of brand-new set of 17x9 Steeda Ultralite II's, soon to be installed on car. What is largest tire we'd put on a 17x9? front? Rear? On side note, anyone know who HAS Bullitt suspension kit? Been striking out at Summit, Bleakley, MustangGiant, etc. The MRT spring/Tokico combo is $549; they say no camber plates or offset bushings required.

"The MRT Engineering team developed a street performance suspension that really delivers the goods! The MRT Street Performance Springs give your Mustang an aggressive stance with superior balanced handling while maintaining your ride quality.
The MRT 'Street' Springs lowers your Mustang 1-1/4" providing more aggressive stance!"
http://mustangracing.mrt-direct.com/suspension.php

pic is 315/35/17 Sumitomos on 10.5" Bullitts on back of 96' -- I see Mustang Tuning now has 17x9 & 17x10.5 deep-dish black FR500 wheels - stop me before I switch wheels again!!

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey meatball, I'm just curious as to which Sumitomos you have on there. and what the treadwear rating is for them. My Eagle F1's have a 280 treadwear rating and that is pretty low and they cost WAY too much for me to keep on buying them over and over. So if you could help me out with that, I may have to keep them in mind the next time I have to buy tires.:laughlitt

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
spazzyfry123 said:
Hey meatball, I'm just curious as to which Sumitomos you have on there. and what the treadwear rating is for them. My Eagle F1's have a 280 treadwear rating and that is pretty low and they cost WAY too much for me to keep on buying them over and over. So if you could help me out with that, I may have to keep them in mind the next time I have to buy tires.:laughlitt
-- HTR-Z's I think, will make sure in a.m.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHP

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Sumitomo tires

spazzyfry123 said:
-- HTR 35Z

Attachments

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
mmm... fatty meats! I need to upgrade to the FR500s with the 10.5 in the back. That looks sooo sweet. :eyebulge:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
295 firehawks

My firehawks (295/35 18's) have a 320 treadwear rating. Most of the drag radials people run only have a treadwear rating of 100 or so. Lots of high performance tires have ratings in the 200's. A tire dealer told me that an easy way to translate treadwear ratings is by years of use - ie, an average driver will put 12,000 miles a year on his car, and a treadwear rating of 200 will just about give that person 2 years or about 24,000 miles of safe use. If you can't rotate the tires, cut the lifespan by about 10% or so. If you keep all 4 wheels correctly aligned (few people do), add about 20%. Keep the proper inflation, and you can get more mileage from that.

315's are still not a common size, though this situation appears to be improving (some of the tire companies are adding them to their 2006 lines). 18" versions are downright rare, with prices around $300 - $450 each, and thats mainly for "competition" tires with really low treadwear ratings.

Wider tires in general have a tendency to wear faster (harder to get adjusted to "0" c/c, for instance).

Tires with mileage warranties are usually (by an odd coincidence) also the tires with the highest purchase price.

spazzyfry123 said:

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
good info/thanks, forwarded to Larry as well.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
dollarbill said:
mmm... fatty meats! I need to upgrade to the FR500s with the 10.5 in the back. That looks sooo sweet. :eyebulge:
-- agree, saw those on MustangTuning and am SO tempted to do the black FR500 bit though black bullitts would let me keep an 8" on the front which I like.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Uhh, all respect fella's, any opinions on Eibach vs Ford B springs?:winks

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
B Movie

Larry Sergent said:
Uhh, all respect fella's, any opinions on Eibach vs Ford B springs?:winks
OK, 2 friends in my club have the setups you're comparing. The B springs ride softer than the Eibachs, and don't drop the car as far (probably 1/2" difference). Both sets installed no problem, and the guy with the Eibach's wanted a 1 1/2" drop, so he's happy.

The guy with the B's was a newbie, so he expected more of a drop, though he prefers the softer ride.

I've driven the B car, and it cannot handle like my car with Steeda springs. The B ride is definitely better - the handling is perceptibly worse.

Like all things spring, seems to be a judgement call.

As for the price difference, I've seen the Eibachs for around $180. How much are you paying for the B's?

tripleblack

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tripleblack said:
OK, 2 friends in my club have the setups you're comparing. The B springs ride softer than the Eibachs, and don't drop the car as far (probably 1/2" difference). Both sets installed no problem, and the guy with the Eibach's wanted a 1 1/2" drop, so he's happy.

The guy with the B's was a newbie, so he expected more of a drop, though he prefers the softer ride.

I've driven the B car, and it cannot handle like my car with Steeda springs. The B ride is definitely better - the handling is perceptibly worse.

Like all things spring, seems to be a judgement call.

As for the price difference, I've seen the Eibachs for around $180. How much are you paying for the B's?

tripleblack
Yea, I'm looking for 1 1/2" drop also. B springs can be had for about $139, haven't seen the Eibach's for less than $219 except once on sale for $209. I'd love to get them for $180.
Meatball sent me shots of your ride...very nice!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Try ebay, I paid $201 shipped from an ebay auction from Dallas Mustang.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
$209

Larry, found them here for $209 (this is kit that includes new stops as well):
https://www.brothersperformance.com/specials.html

Can't find the 189 deal - but saw it the other day - will continue to search memory - should have written it down, of course, or added to favorites. Pretty sure the 189 deal did not include new stops...

Larry Sergent said:
Yea, I'm looking for 1 1/2" drop also. B springs can be had for about $139, haven't seen the Eibach's for less than $219 except once on sale for $209. I'd love to get them for $180.
Meatball sent me shots of your ride...very nice!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.