Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a college student on a tight budget and the wiring harness in my mustang has more dead ends than I can count. I have countless problems getting my stereo, heater, and wipers to work and once one is fixed the others fail. Wires also constantly fall off the fuse box so I need an upgrade.

The two major brands Ive found online are american autowire and painless performance. These seem pricey and I wanted to hear from you all in terms of other brands or which one is worth the money. Although Im on a tight budget I would rather save money to buy the best product and do it right the first time.

Anything on wiring in general, especially personal experiences is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
831 Posts
You don't have to buy an entire harness. You can get just the under-dash harness which includes a new fuse panel. That is what I did when I did my restoration. I'll do a quick search and see if I can find a part number for what I got.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Damn, prices sure have gone up since I got my stuff. Anyway, check this link out.

Main Dash

·
Registered
454 Posts
For the same price you could go the Painless harness that will wire the whole car. If you just do the dash kit you still have all the old wiring in the rest of the car. Both have their advantages, but if it was me, I'd go with the Painless and rewire the whole car with new stuff.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Leon you are right, just do all of it. Your lights will be brighter and so on. I used an "ezwiwring 21 curcit wiring harness' from ebay(175$) and it is EXCELLENT. Just go to ebaymotors and type in "universal wiring harness" and you will see bunches but the "EZWIRING" kits are great. They use top quality high temp wire - not autozone wire - and each wire is imprinted every 8 inches or so to say what it is, ie.. radio constant power or cigarette or high beam. I have all the schematics to incorporate your headlight, wiper, ignition and so on down to pin locations if you need them. good luck

·
Registered
139 Posts
Good question on the harness delema, I was thinking of making one from scratch but for that price and printed im going to check that out. Silver69 I know you offerd tmstaple the schematics on the electricol of the car, is their a way I could get a copy of that to re do the electricol on my car. thanks to all for the great info on eb sights and products to use.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
no problem at all, email me at [email protected].
Rewired several 68 - 72 and can show you which terminals on the wiper, headlight, igniton to use, motor leads are self explanatory but will walk anyone through it.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I am using the american autowire system on mine. the thing I like about it is that it comes with all of the switches and things as well. ie new light switch, new dimmer switch, ignition switch etc as well as providing wiring for electric fan conversion, electric fuel pump. a relay setup for the horn and headlights so you can run HID lamps etc. wiring for electric windows if you want them. it is a nice setup and if you order from cj's pony parts they have sales on them occasionally. when I bought mine it was less than I could buy it from other vendors and I got a 100.00 gift card with it. so it ended up costing me around 500.00

and I just got an email that cj's is offering the same gift card promotion now.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/default....arts&utm_medium=giftcard25&utm_campaign=email

so if you order now it is 639.00 with free shipping and you will get 100.00 gift card to spend on other stuff later.:bigthumbsup

still working on getting it all wired up, I am not great with wiring and this is one part of the restoration I do not enjoy.:gringreen

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Hang in there mccance, just treat the flow of voltage like a water hose meaning you can have tee's and regardless of the color of the wire you can follow the "flow". Switches are like valves - either open or closed. Just trying to help hope I did not confuse you. The ezwiring 21 curcit harness is like yours with horn and flasher relays already in the fuse panel and can be easily replaced. It too has provisions for every option under the sun even cruise control, PW, PWR Door Locks,..... the works @$175 with high temp wire sleeving. Your kit sounds good too with all the switches included, good luck. Oh go to a pull a part and load up on blade fuese they will give them to you usually and they cost $$$$ at the parts store.

·
Registered
139 Posts
its funny you said to stock on blade fuces i have a shue box almost full. I go to the salvage yard about 2 times a week and every time I go i walk out of their with my pockets full of fuces. Im looking at that 21 curcit wiring harnes on ebay and it said free shiping so i might get it next pay chack and re du all the wiring like i wanted but with less of a head ache.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Hang in there mccance, just treat the flow of voltage like a water hose meaning you can have tee's and regardless of the color of the wire you can follow the "flow". Switches are like valves - either open or closed. Just trying to help hope I did not confuse you. The ezwiring 21 curcit harness is like yours with horn and flasher relays already in the fuse panel and can be easily replaced. It too has provisions for every option under the sun even cruise control, PW, PWR Door Locks,..... the works @$175 with high temp wire sleeving. Your kit sounds good too with all the switches included, good luck. Oh go to a pull a part and load up on blade fuese they will give them to you usually and they cost $$$$ at the parts store.

oh I am plugging along. it is going fine I have finished the underdash wiring this weekend I think and installed the vintage air ac wiring and blower assembly. now I just need to do the front and rear lights. that will hopefully be relatively easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts