Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as i was driving the car today the fan was working fine at the beginning of the drive and as i was coming back home a notices that my temp gauge was not going down and i could see that the fan wanted to kick on cause i could see my amp gauge drop but as i keep driving i pulled over and noticed that the fan was not turning on. so what i am saying is that it is drawing amps but not kicking on. could my fan be burnt up? or is it just the relay????

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well I would say its not the relay. When relays go bad they either stay on constantly or don't work at all ( no power running through it ). So id say its the fan motor. Did you check over all the connections?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i checked over all the connections and still nothing just weird how it just stops working right away

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well I would say its not the relay. When relays go bad they either stay on constantly or don't work at all ( no power running through it ). So id say its the fan motor. Did you check over all the connections?
+1 sounds like the motor burnt up try turning the fan by hand if its kinda hard to turn then it is burnt for sure

·
Registered
3 Posts
You need to put 12 volts to the motor and see if it is working - just right from the battery to the wires right near the fan motor or get a schematic and short accross at the relay in the fuse box

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i hooked up a battery charger and the fan works fine i went through ll the connections and re did them and made sure i had a good ground but still when the car warms up to 200 the fan still does not kick on. Could it just be the fuse relay???

·
Registered
428 Posts
i wouldnt go much bigger, i guess it depends on how much current the fan motor wants

·
Registered
152 Posts
i tried to spin it to give it kid of a push start and it spins fine its not hard to turn at all.
probably is just the relay then cause my taurus fan burnt my 30 amp relay up too i ended up just putting it on a toggle switch lol

·
Registered
359 Posts
its a mark 8 fan. do you have problems with the relays going to ****?
Yea i would always have to buy a bunch of 30 amp relays, 1 would last about a month with it running on low speed. High speed would smoke 30 amp relays as soon as it clicked on. I finally found a 40 amp relay to run the low speed on and i got this for the high speed -- Dakota Digital RLY3 - Dakota Digital Relays with Wiring Sockets - Overview - SummitRacing.com

The best choice would be to either get an $80 DC controller, or that above relay + a switch. Btw, are the mark 8 fans 2 speed like the Taurus 3.8 fans?

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
I got a dc controller and it works great. One 30 amp relay will not cut it as when the fan kicks on it spike to a much higher amperage plus the Mark fans are huge suckers of juice as they pull tons of air.

I was measuring before I put the fan on that my SN95 fan would spike to 40 or 42 amps on start up and then settle down to 25 or so amps.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Or you could run 2x 30 amp relays in paralell.

At least I think you can.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah there are 2 speeds a high and low and i always run the high all the time so that explains why the relay burnt up. the relay you mentioned can i just take the relay out and plug it into my harness cause that said it was a 70 amp relay so that should work

·
Registered
359 Posts
When I bought that 70 amp relay, my plan was to ditch the plug-in connector and hook 8 gauge wire to ( highly recommend!!!! ) it but the terminals on it are hugge! So speaker conectors wont fit like they do on normal relays, nither will it fit in another fan controller so no.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts