Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an electric or cordless impact wrench to speed up my tire rotations (we have a few cars) and brake jobs, etc. I have been looking at the Makitas and Milwaukees. What IMP and torque rating do I need for my 2000 GT.

This is one of the pages I have been to.

http://www.toolking.com/shop/index2.asp?parent=265&page=1

I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Something with at least 80 ft-lbs to get the bolts loose. You never want to rely solely on an impact wrench to final tighten lug nuts.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I appreciate the advise.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Don't know if this question is still important or already solved...

Here is my opinion:
Even if you have a tiny little air compressor - they deliver enough air for a 425+ lb.ft air impact wrench. I Might shock a lot of people now whit what I've just said, but here is the explanation and I also tested that:

If you have a huge air compressor but a tiny little Air impact wrench it takes you about 10 seconds to unbolt one Bolt at the wheel.
300 lb.ft flows 2.3 cfm (snap on) @ 10 seconds = 0.38 cubic feet of compressed air per bolt.

If you take a high performance impact wrench with about 575 lb.ft. It only takes about 2 seconds to unbolt one Bolt at the wheel, because the first couple of impacts brak the bolt loose.
575 lb.ft flows 4.2 cfm (snap on) @ 2 seconds = 0.14 cubic feet of compressed air per bolt.

0.38 vs. 0.14 cfm!!!

This means: If you only need an Impact wrench for a short ammount of time (not more than a couple of seconds), a big Impact wrench on a small compressor works just fine. It actually works a lot better than a small impact wrench on a medium size compressor!

To answer your Question: instead of buying an expensive electric one, I'd rather be buying a cheap compressor, and a powerfull Impact wrench (425+ lb.ft campbell hausfeld work just fine).

Keep on cruisin'

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Just be careful you don't try to tighten those lug nuts with that 575 lb-ft impact wrench, you may end up sheering off a stud, then you're really in for some fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.