Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a new sub and amp in my '93 'vert a few weeks ago. all of a sudden, my battery doesn't seem to want to hold a charge. it's a couple of years old, and a duralast, so it shouldn't have quite lived out its life yet, so i'm trying to figure this out. previously, i had a 350 watt sub powered by a 300watt, dual channel amp. i only had one channel running to avoid blowing the speaker. i got a 500 watt sub as payment for some work the other day so i upgraded. i bridged the two channels and backed off the level to avoid blowing the speaker. i have listened to the stereo without the car running many many times for as long as an hour with no issues. all of a sudden, my car won't start. the starter just clicked like the solenoid wasn't pushing it out all the way. i got a jump and it literally took 10 seconds for it to start. i drove it home and checked the charge again, and it's still lower than usual. only reads a little over half on the guage. i had a gold top post terminal on the battery and found it to be completely covered in corrosion. i tried to clean it, but it had large chunks missing from the corrosin, so i replaced it, figuring it to be my problem. the next day, today, i was listening to the radio for around 5 mins. i tried to turn the car on again, and the charge just barely got it on. anyone else have any issues like this? could my batt just be dead, or is my amp killing it? i drove the car for 20 miles to get home 30 secs after i got the jump, so it isn't the alternator. any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the batt was low on juice. i had the whole electric system tested, and they said it was fine except for the battery was low. not bad, just low. an alternator, running city streets, takes a long time to recharge a lot of lost power. what happened was those times i ran the radio with the engine off did me in. i wasn't running the car enough to replace the missing current. an overnight recharge, and paying more attention to the charge on my batt, and its all good again. theoretically... thanks though!

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
SUBS?????? Is that a sandwich????? All i do is install a pair of 6X9 speakers and i am good to GO. Some of those subs draw quite a lot of current and a bigger alt would not be a bad IDEA. I use the GM diesel alt and it charges more at idle than a stock unit. MG gave you good advice DUDE put in a BIGGER ALTERNATOR. If you want to carry the extra weight of those subway sandwiches in your TRUNK. A bigger ALT is always a good investment and easily done. Peace Tom

·
Registered
478 Posts
Listen to Jarod. Excuse me, Tom :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.