Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have recently purchased my 66 Mustang and was all going well until the electrics stopped working when the car is running. Things such as blinkers, break lights, radio just stop working. When the car has been turned off but auxillaries are on, they work fine.
Any suggestions I could look at?
Thank you
Mick

·
Administrator
5,023 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
Do you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Start by checking the fuses.
If all good you may have had a wire come loose somewhere.
Check Battery to solenoid connection as well as all the main connecting wires to lights etc.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I agree with the previous suggestions, but would add that unless someone has replaced the original fuse block, just because the fuses are good doesn't mean that area isn't the problem. My '66 block became really corroded on the back and had to be replaced.

·
Registered
1967 Mercury Cougar XR7
2,990 Posts
Before you go chasing parts and wires, definitely check your main battery cables and grounds, on both ends! Inspect the heads and wires too, as corrosion can settle in there and cause problems up under the insulation where it's hard to spot. Clean your terminals, and put them back on.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Hi all,
I have recently purchased my 66 Mustang and was all going well until the electrics stopped working when the car is running. Things such as blinkers, break lights, radio just stop working. When the car has been turned off but auxillaries are on, they work fine.
Thank you
Mick
Most likely it's the ignition switch. At the "run" position the switch sends power to about 1/2 of the fuses in the panel, which is a lot of amps. Over time the contacts burn out and stop working.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi all,
Thank you
Mick
You say the engine starts and runs okay, so then suggestions involving the battery cables, etc would probably mean the car wouldn't start,etc. I'm agreeing with the need to check other switches, but I would look at the light switch. That's where the power is circulated among the various lights, etc. that you say you're having problems with. Check the main wire (yellow, I believe) from the ignition switch to the light switch at both terminals. If there's a ground somewhere, you should also probably see your amp gauge swinging noticeably when you try to use the lights, so it's most likely a disconnected wire or bad light switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You say the engine starts and runs okay, so then suggestions involving the battery cables, etc would probably mean the car wouldn't start,etc. I'm agreeing with the need to check other switches, but I would look at the light switch. That's where the power is circulated among the various lights, etc. that you say you're having problems with. Check the main wire (yellow, I believe) from the ignition switch to the light switch at both terminals. If there's a ground somewhere, you should also probably see your amp gauge swinging noticeably when you try to use the lights, so it's most likely a disconnected wire or bad light switch.
Hi guys,
Just wanted to say thank you for all of your comments and suggestions, it is extremely appreciated and am very thankful. So just as an update, after taking on board all of your comments and the schematic was great, I traced it all and the issue was the ignition switch. When the car is running and there are no blinkers, break lights and radio, I jiggle the key back and everything works. There is a connection issue in the ignition switch that will now be replaced.
Cheers
Mick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts