Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just completing some minor work on my 65 when I noticed that I lost power to the radio, electric fan, dash lights, courtesy lights taillights and brake lights. All other electical works fine good gauges, tach, headlights, front turn signal and starts and runs fine. I have had my Painless wire harness in for about six months and 250 miles all was working fine . Checked my grounds and they are all connected and solid. Does anyone have any suggestions to the cause. This has me for a loop.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Hello. :) This is the elephant in the room that people don't really mention when discussing whether or not to use the painless wiring instead of the as-original. Basically, you're on your own here, because there isn't anyone, anywhere that knows how you routed things, which components are what circuits, what color or gauge wiring is on any circuit, etc., etc....

But, since this is the situation that you are in, let's see what we can see here. :)When you wired up these components how many circuits are we talking about here, and, which ones are keyed power and which ones are constant power? I'm assuming that the brake lights/tail lights are on the same circuit, and that it's constant power. I would also imagine that the electric fan is on it's own circuit with thermostatically controlled constant power with a relay in the circuit somewhere along the line. The courtesy lights are probably constant power, since it wouldn't make any sense to have to have the key in the on position for the lights to come on when you open the door. I guess that the radio would be the only thing that has a keyed power feed. Does this sound about right so far? :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that is pretty much what it is. The fan is also set up with a switch as well. The system is a 14 circuit except the tail and headlights are one circuit and the brake is a separate circuit and the radio is set up with a constant for memory and switched for normal power. In theory according to painless the harness designed for the 65 routes and runs wires the same as original with an extra set up for optional accessories. The odd part was that all was running and working fine and then all of a sudden the problem.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Hi again. :) The headlights and tailights are on the same circuit, but, the headlights work and the taillights don't? :headscratch:

·
Registered
462 Posts
What was the minor work you were doing that caused this all to happen?

The only non-working component that isn't contemplated in the wiring harness is the electric fan. How did you wire that?

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Hi again. :) It would really help out a bunch if you could make a drawing of how you have this stuff wired. What you'll need to do is start at the power source for each component that that isn't working and work your way towards the component with a volt meter and find the break in the circuit. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I guess the harness wasn't so "painless" after all. Bada Boom. I'm only kidding, it sounded funny in my head. :laughlitt

This might be a dumb suggestion because I've never worked with these types of harnesses before, but how are your fuses? Have you checked to see if there's any that have been blown?

I like where Bitter's coming from as well. What were you working on when this all happened? Perhaps that could help us shed some light on things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts