Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, so i replaced my steering column harness in my 68 all wires matchup to their colours. things that go through that circuit are your tail lights, flashers, hazards, horns and brake lights.

here's what works, brake lights, and horn. thats it. the hazards sort of work, they give power to park lights, tail lights and in-dash blinker signals. but nothing flashes.

now first off, its not the mechanical flasher that makes the lights flash because ive replaced it already too. its not the wiring connecting to the steering column because the colours match. i have not checked the fuse but i have heard the flasher go click click but no light. not too sure on whats going on.

really silly acctually, everything works except the important bits...

please help :thankyou

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) Your car has two flashers in it. One is for the turn signals and the other is for the emergency flashers. If you remove the glove box liner, you should find it over near the radio. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you think that the flasher is the problem with the hazard lights?
i will take a look for it right now, thanks :)

any ideas on whats wrong with the turn signals or tail lights? when i turn my head lights on my tail lights do not turn on.
:blink:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
woo hoo!! found it, replaced it and it turned out to actually be the original ford one from autolite lol. so iknow turn signals should work, there is just something wrong with them giving power because they dont even go stale :/.

tail lights dont come on either :/

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) The flasher that you just found is for the emergency flashers. I would now check and see if they did in fact work by activating them and walking around the car to see what did and did not work. I would also jamb the brake pedal down with a telescoping hood prop or something to simulate a person sitting in the car with their foot on the brakes, signal a turn and see what the taillights do like that. It could be that you just need some bulbs. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep all works but taillights and turn signals still do not work. was looking on the internet and someone said to check the fuse by checking your radio (dont have one) and PRND12 lights on automatics they didntwork soi assumed that the fuse was done for, iaccidentally broke the fuse while taking it out and it shattered. i found a fuse that i thought was the right one and put it in and tried and nothing, only difference was that my interior lights didnt work :( but it was a 15amp not a 14 so i went to lordco and got a 14, put it in still no interior lights or turn signals. whats up??

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have you looked at this diagram?
http://hammar.dyndns.org/~djhamma/wiring/1968/E8.jpg

Find the #37 wire and use a voltmeter to ensure you have power.
if you don't, check the connection at the connector or further back to the relay.
If you do, go past the fuse to the #54 wire to see if you have power.
if not, the fuse is bad.
A voltmeter is your friend.
Basically, start at the power source, work forward with the voltmeter.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks! figured it out. still no tail lights though. not exactly sure how it is wired into the headlight switch though.
any thoughts on what to do? checked my fuse box again and nothing out of place. no interior lights though still...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts