Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Ford Mustang GT black coupe 4.6L V8
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Jeffrey and I recently bought a 2005 mustang GT manual. Everything looks great except that it has electrical problems. I have seen other people talk about water damage which is what I think is happening. The car was outside when it rained and the passenger side had water on it. Also the sea mounts and other metal peices are rusted. I have a couple of questions. First, how would I go about removing the computer to check if it has corroded. Second, which gaskets and seals would you suggest checking for leaks. Third, where do you suggest buying the replacements for the gaskets and/or computer.

·
Super Moderator
2,713 Posts
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your account details.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
I am not sure if someone will be able to reply directly to this thread with all that information; but there are lots of old threads on here about this problem and some of them might have the details.

Spend some time with the "search" feature and hopefully you can find the existing threads. I'd search on "SJB" or "system junction box" or "SJB water" or "system junction box water" and other combinations of those words. Probably the S197 forum would be the best place to look, but they could be in other sub-sections also.
(128) Mustang S197 Forums (2005-2014 Mustangs) | Ford Mustang Forum (allfordmustangs.com)

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
The leak is from the cabin air filter box under the dash. It has a drain that gets clogged with old leaves and crud. Take it apart and clean it. There is also the possibility of the body seam just above that area.

Regarding the electrical problem, you gave no information. If the engine starts and runs like it should then the ECU is working, so leave it alone.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Since you have an '05 you more than likely still have the original cowl grommets with foam gaskets. Ford revised them in mid '07 to heat sealed. The foam is probably completely dry rotted by now and allowing water in under the dash. If the carpet isn't wet, then it running down back behind the carpet and dripping on the smart junction box behind the access panel in the passenger foot well. Here's the TSB that Ford released in '08. For good measure I also replaced the foam gasket on the weather strip retainers with camper mounting tape from Home Depot. Lightly spray painted the outside edge black before removing the paper backer then applied it.

Attachments

Reactions: JeffGT2005

·
Registered
2005 Ford Mustang GT black coupe 4.6L V8
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured out the leak problem. Last night I was working on the car, opened up the hood, and took off The plastic cover that covers the air filter. Like you said there was a clog in the drain. I clean that out with a shop vac. I did both sides for good measure. Also as you said the air filter gasket was completely rotten. I am replacing that gasket and the air filter. I looked at the ECU by the passenger side door, and I found the plug tines were corroded. The car still runs but the tail lights and indoor lights will stay on after I turn the car off which then drains the battery. I am having to disconnect the negative terminal every time I get out of the car. I am also Using a dehumidifier to get all the water out of the cabin.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
The connector to the ECU has a lever that makes it easy to remove and replace. Disconnect it then remove the ECU. Get some electrical contact cleaner (aerosol can, most big box home improvement stores or Ace Hardware) and spray that on the male pins, agitate with a toothbrush, and spray again. Use compressed air to rinse and dry. For the receptacle side, spray the cleaner and let drip dry for about 15 minutes before reassembly. Consider using a light film of dielectric grease for easy reassembly and to keep the moisture seals fresh.

To dry the car out roll back the carpet and backing and inspect the floor soundproofing and steel structure. Vacuum out/ towel out andy water. Put a dry towel down and roll the carpet back over and let that absorb as much water as possible for several hours. Repeat until its dry. Continue with the dehumidifier. If you get a sunny day leave the car in the sun with the windows slightly open.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I strongly suggest that you also pop out the 10 grommets that hold the cowls, remove the foam gaskets and get some Flex Seal or other rubberized sealant to put on them and pop them back in. My bet is that some of the Smart Junction Box pins are probably corroded really thin by now. A few of mine were. Almost broke one when I went to lightly brush them with a soft bristle brush as Yadkin suggests. Luckily I was able to gently bend it back straight. I also put a plastic shield over the SJB for added protection in case of future water intrusion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts