Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think '05 is the first year Ford has gone "fly by wire" for the accelerator. For those who don't know that term, it means no physical or mechanical connection between the accelerator pedal and the throttle. It is done electronically. Anyway, has anyone experienced any problems with this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
No problem. I have the V6 and the only complaint is that their is a sort of hesitation. When you floor it, the car doesn't immediately take off. It takes a second or two before it really starts to move.

But I believe you can reflash the computer to solve that little inconvienance.

G

·
I've read that for some there is a bit of a delay in responce from it. Personally, I haven't spent enough time in mine to notice just yet... feels snappy... but then, this is the first car I've owned like this. I've also read that the tuners have a bit to correct the reported delay. Think there's a few threads around here on this subject.

·
Registered
186 Posts
there does appear to be a slight lag with it, this is a big complaint I have seen others post as well. I recently got a tune and it helps with this alot

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's the first year Ford has used it in the Mustang. They have been using it in some of their other vehicles for a couple of years.

Except for the initial lag. It seems to work just fine. I have heard Ford put the lag in on purpose.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mine lags a bit too and as mentioned this is done by ford for reliablity purposes. The throttle blade also closes between shifts for the same reason. This is no big deal to me yet but I"m sure one day I'll do a tune to eliminate it.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Kanno said:
Mine lags a bit too and as mentioned this is done by ford for reliablity purposes. The throttle blade also closes between shifts for the same reason. This is no big deal to me yet but I"m sure one day I'll do a tune to eliminate it.
I hate that lapse of response when you hit the gas, mostly at low speed. You go from no response on the pedal, i.e., half an inch then wroooom!

·
Registered
18 Posts
sonny1213 said:
I hate that lapse of response when you hit the gas, mostly at low speed. You go from no response on the pedal, i.e., half an inch then wroooom!
I just love the wroooom! part though.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The "lag" on throttle response is due to the ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) and is actually meant to do just that in order to spare the newer drivers (Power mainly) and save some of the engine and tranny for later. You may also have notice that when your running in gear and let off the throotle there is an approx 7 second delay before it starts to throttle down and tranny brake a bit. Again this is due to the ETC.

There are no handheld tuners that will take this our (Diablo / SCT) but a competant tuner can with the full SCT dealer software package. I am not sure about the Diablo stuff since I don't have one of those.

By modifying the ETC parameters the lag can be completely removed on start, WOT and when backing down.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The fly by wire technology sucks if you have any intention of racing this car!!! SCT has the ability to correct the "lag" in acceleration. The DBW technology is extremely complex in design. Not only does it pull back the throttle blade (close it slightly) under hard acceleration but it also is related to the torque sensor so if you power shift the car, it pulls back the throttle to less the strain on the drivetrain.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
nautiluscont said:
The fly by wire technology sucks if you have any intention of racing this car!!! SCT has the ability to correct the "lag" in acceleration. The DBW technology is extremely complex in design. Not only does it pull back the throttle blade (close it slightly) under hard acceleration but it also is related to the torque sensor so if you power shift the car, it pulls back the throttle to less the strain on the drivetrain.
Is the SCT tune the only thing you did to your car to run 13.4 in the 1/4?

·
Registered
68 Posts
No, it got the sct tune running 94 octane fuel. The biggest noticeable mod was using Mickey Thompson ET street tires. Dropped my 60' time from 2.2 to 1.86 launching at 4,500 rpms. Now i got a CAI, and the 4.30 gear. Ill let you know what it runs after tonight. I also have line locks on the front to hold to car during a burnout to get the tires stickier.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
nbk13nw said:
The "lag" on throttle response is due to the ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) and is actually meant to do just that in order to spare the newer drivers (Power mainly) and save some of the engine and tranny for later. You may also have notice that when your running in gear and let off the throotle there is an approx 7 second delay before it starts to throttle down and tranny brake a bit. Again this is due to the ETC.

There are no handheld tuners that will take this our (Diablo / SCT) but a competant tuner can with the full SCT dealer software package. I am not sure about the Diablo stuff since I don't have one of those.

By modifying the ETC parameters the lag can be completely removed on start, WOT and when backing down.
Yeah just got my tune from Alternative Auto... all the torque limiters GONE! Car really goes WOT when the pedal is mashed! LOL!!! I've got the automatic and with this tune the shifts, both up and down have been greatly improved... I'm chirping 1-2 and 2-3! If you are going to get one mod for your car it should be a tune...

·
Registered
914 Posts
nbk13nw said:
I beg to differ - I have two canned tunes from MMR on the Xcal and both removed the delay.

·
Registered
886 Posts
jiabao - did that include the deceleration delay? It really annoys me since I like to power brake and downshift roadcoarse style. I can't say I've noticed the lag near as much on launch.

·
Registered
914 Posts
ultraclyde - it did change it a bit, but not enough in my opinion - I have an auto so the shifting will of course be different than your stick, but I could feel that the tranny was still dropping quicker than the engine and it felt a little weird to get used to at first. I am sure if I actually had a tune done "in shop" instead of a canned tune I could get that tweaked to perfection.

ultraclyde said:
jiabao - did that include the deceleration delay? It really annoys me since I like to power brake and downshift roadcoarse style. I can't say I've noticed the lag near as much on launch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts