Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have been planning on buying headers for a long time now but recently a buddy of mine suggested while i'm under the car anyway why don't I put electric cutouts on it to give it a better sound. I already have converted the car to duals with flowmaster mufflers so i dont know if that will add anything to the sound or hurt it. And will it have any effect on performance at all?

Thanks in advance,
Caleb

·
Registered
432 Posts
Never heard of electronic cutout... what is that?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
basically it's a y pipe that goes right after the headers that when closed the exhaust runs it's natural path but when open it allows the car to run like it has open headers...at least thats the best I can tell I know it makes ur exhaust louder but other than that idk

·
Registered
432 Posts
Gotcha! I always heard of them being called y-pipes or exhaust bypass... I wouldn't do that cause you would be messing with precious backpressure. It might make your car run worse, and open headers are kind of obnoxious, in my opinion.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
see that's what i was thinking i had been reading and some people gained horsepower on the top end but lost torque? and my buddies is really freakin loud when he opens it up but it sounds amazing just cruisin...Im just not sure wether or not it worth the money or if i'd just be screwin with to much stuff...another question though I've been looking at headers and I've always been told to get ceramic but stainless steel seems to be just as good what do yall think?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I personally cannot justify the price difference. ceramics look nicer and reduce heat under the hood, somewhat, but steel works fine for me

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
On cutouts -

It's more about the SREEEAAAAMMMM than anything in my opinion. I guess they'd be cool for showing off and stuff. I'm not sure, but hitting the switch could even give you a little boost in WOT... Who knows?

If you like the sound of them, go for it! It'd sure be unique & you could share your experience & opinion with us! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
432 Posts
Not bad, but how would it sound with a 4.0? Doesnt the v6 require more backpressure to run well? IDK alot about the v6 motor, or anything for that matter:gringreen

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I found a video of a 2006 v6 mustang with the same setup as mine with them on there...tell me what yall think and i not quite sure how to put a video in here so i'll just give ya the URL...thanks for yalls input by the way

YouTube - Mustang v6 cutouts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.