Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a 302 in my 68 mustang. I put a few goodies in it...I came across a Ford electronic distributor my dad had. It's still in really good shape. It was a little seized up but I got it spinning like brand new. I also have what I think is a Ford brain box. On the bottom where the wires come out, there is a blue plastic tab. I was told that means it's off of a Ford. (Ford blue so it makes sense) It says heavy duty on the front, assuming that's from a truck but wouldn't really effect anything. Thing is, the dizzy and the box both have 3 prong male plugs. The dizzy of course only has one plug. The box has 2 plugs.

The colors of the wires on the box are like this: 1st plug: A green wire, an orange wire, a purple wire, a black wire. 2nd plug: A red wire and a white wire.

On the dizzy, the wires are : Black with an orange stripe, a black wire, and the last one is black with a gray or dark green stripe (it's dull from over time).

I had someone tell me I could just snip the wires on the plugs, and connect them direct. He also said I could still use my stock coil (which I'll probably upgrade if this all works) the brain box that I have. If anyone could shed a bit more light on this for me, and even how to go about doing it the way it needs to be done, please let me know.

Also, any gains I'll notice? I know it won't be much but just curious. Or will the only gain be eliminating the points? lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright dude....I'm here to get the info for my car. I posted it 3 times or whatever. It's not like it's shutting the website down, and it will be surpassed by others questions. So if you don't have anything other than blowing up my questions, being an ass, and being an "administrator" then just save us both the B.S. or even check your inbox.

Deal? :bigthumbsup:chillpill:

·
Registered
499 Posts
it sounds like you may have a dur-a-spark, or a dur-a-spark II distributor,,you will have to do a little research to find out exactly what distributor you have and if the control box is the correct one ,,,there is a ton of info here and all over the net,,,I put a dur-a-sparkII in my mach1 with a 351c,,and it works great,,,

·
Registered
491 Posts
If you are determined to make this work, this is what I would do.

I would take both components to the nearest Ford dealership. Walk into the parts department and see if someone will be kind enough to look up what you have based on part numbers. This way you will know if what you have will work with your 302. It is possible that the distributor and "brain box" are not compatable with each other. There may even be a Ford hotrodder at the dealership that will give you assistance.

If you are running a points distributor now, the other alternative is to convert to Pertronix, fairly cheap and you will see better performance than points.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Wtf! Again! Man, pick another question!

Ok so there's a bit of repetition..

4 threads on needing a complete A/C unit for a '68 302'
8 threads on pros and cons or how to wire distributor.

Maybe Shommel has picked up an apprentice.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here is one of the millions of wiring diagrams that a quick duraspark search brought up. Duraspark II
If your box says heavy duty on the front I'm guessing it is probably an after market part. Make sure your distributor will work in a 302. Ford used Duraspark and Duraspark II distributors in most of their vehicles/engines from the mid '70's until they quit using distributors.

The Duraspark distributor is a fairly easy upgrade, and in my opinion worthwhile.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts