Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the car since May and pulled up on the emergency brake tonight for the first time. (was installing another MGW mod) When I was finished I tried to put the brake down and that button wouldn't push in for anything. It took about five minutes of pushing with everything I had to get that thing to release. I had to back myself into the car and somehow got my back against the dash or steering wheel for leverage and pushed in with a thumb and both hands. It finally broke free. Is this common? It shouldn't be that hard to work a brake. Luckily I shouldn't have to use it again but would like to be able to if I wanted. I had my car stratling the line where my garage door comes down and it wouldn't budge. I tried going forward and reverse with no luck. I actually thought I was going to have to call a tow truck to get it out of my garage.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Emergency brake button won't go in

Sometimes if the emergenc;y brake handle is pulled up to the extreme then it is difficult to release because there is no more upward travel left to pull it up slightly to be able to push the button in and release the handle. The emergency brake idealy should be set by pulling the handle up until resistance is felt and then set so there is at least some additional movement upward on the handle. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I usually press the brake pedal to apply/release the parking brake. Pressing the brake pedal helps take tension off of the parking brake cables to release it.

An old-timer once said "Use your parking brake, the transmision is not a kickstand."

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bailiff said:
Sometimes if the emergenc;y brake handle is pulled up to the extreme then it is difficult to release because there is no more upward travel left to pull it up slightly to be able to push the button in and release the handle. The emergency brake idealy should be set by pulling the handle up until resistance is felt and then set so there is at least some additional movement upward on the handle. Hope this makes sense.
I pulled it up last night to install a new handle. Had to get underneathe it to reach some screws so I pulled it up pretty high. I just tested your theory and it seemed to release OK if I didn't pull up as high. Guess I pulled it up too much. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
IndianaJones said:
I pulled it up last night to install a new handle. Had to get underneathe it to reach some screws so I pulled it up pretty high. I just tested your theory and it seemed to release OK if I didn't pull up as high. Guess I pulled it up too much. Thanks.
Reminds me of cealis commercial, "if your emergency break is in this position for more than 4 hours seek a professional mechanic immediatley" :laughlitt

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
IndianaJones said:
Hey Now,
Well, ummm, errrrr, how's the handle and did it fit ok? :laughlitt

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I think I see where this is going. Yes, the handle fit. Now, no more replies as this post seems to be going south in a hurry.

·
Registered
149 Posts
IndianaJones said:
I've had the car since May and pulled up on the emergency brake tonight for the first time. (was installing another MGW mod) When I was finished I tried to put the brake down and that button wouldn't push in for anything. It took about five minutes of pushing with everything I had to get that thing to release. I had to back myself into the car and somehow got my back against the dash or steering wheel for leverage and pushed in with a thumb and both hands. It finally broke free. Is this common? It shouldn't be that hard to work a brake. Luckily I shouldn't have to use it again but would like to be able to if I wanted. I had my car stratling the line where my garage door comes down and it wouldn't budge. I tried going forward and reverse with no luck. I actually thought I was going to have to call a tow truck to get it out of my garage.
If the MGW modification which you were installing was the billet emergency brake cover, ensure you do not over tighten the 2 set screws. If the 2 set screws are too tight, you can jam the internal spring on the brake mechanism and you will have problems releasing when the button is pushed.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts