Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 88 mustang salvage title, needed light inspection, for some reason the e-brake light does not work on the dash. How does the e-brake indicator light wotk? Is there a sensor hooked up? drum brakes in the rear.

·
Registered
374 Posts
there should be a switch of some sort towards the bottom of the e brake handle/lever

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
The light is in the middle of the gauges by where the Amp warning gauge is.

·
Registered
654 Posts
brake light

the brake light is also hooked to the master cylinder, for low fluid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Changed the bulb, it flashes when the car starts, but it does not stay lit while e-brake is up... is it a sensor??

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
ayoraider07 said:
Changed the bulb, it flashes when the car starts, but it does not stay lit while e-brake is up... is it a sensor??
Sounds like the switch. Sometimes they get knocked out of place if you have the console off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
switch? I think it is the sensor located on the parking brake. My local ford dealer is ordering a new one for me on monday

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay the 'sensor' is called a switch by Ford dealership, I replaced the switch on the side of the parking brake. The parking brake light in the dash still does NOT light up when the brake is in the up position. (but it flashes when the car is started)
There is a purple wire and a black wire that plug into the switch...anyone have any idea where theses wires go to?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Believe it or not, the circuit for that light goes through the computer.
Try actuating the switch by hand, with it plugged in. Does it work then?
You could just run a new circuit for the light. Just be sure to isolate it from the existing circuit. That way you can get the inspection out of the way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's what I'm going to do tomorrow. I'm going to wire the switch to the ACC wire from my stereo, that way the switch gets power when the key is turned, and run the other end of the switch through an LED. Now, hopefully the inspection will pass my homemade parking brake indicator.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Cool, but make sure to not let any voltage from your circuit into the original circuit. I don't know what it would do, but it's probably not good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.