Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was backing out of a driveway, and suddenly the engine quits. There was smoke coming out from the hood with a weird smell lingering. Now when I turn the key, I hear no fuel pump. What happened?

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
you may have blown the engine or something caught fire momentarily...that weird smell is usually something electrical burning

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the engine cranks fine, it just won't start. I'm assuming fuel problem.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Need more info??? Does the thing CRANK??? Does it have spark. Does the Pump Work when Keyed/ Need more info and check under the hoos for damage and post back!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
check the ccrm, black box on the passenger strut tower, and all the wiring to and from it. if its just the fuel pump not turning on you might've burned it or the wires.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay so, changed the fuel pump. I still can't hear it prime, but when I give it a little gas while starting, it bogs down, telling me it's getting gas.

I can't find the CCRM, but I can't find any wires that would be/are burnt anywhere.

Tom Renzo - Yes, it cranks. Have spark(as far as I know), getting gas. Checked under the hood for damage but I can't find anything. I'm at a loss fellas. TFI? Replaced distributor cap and rotor as well. Sounded like it wanted to start pretty bad, but it didn't give. Tried push starting, it fired maybe 3 times and shut off.

It started, I was backing out, and then the rpm's dropped and I saw smoke from under the hood.

Side note: When we had the gas tank dropped, there was a tube sheared next to the pump leading to some white, circular thing. Anyone have any idea what this could be?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
OK check fuel pump preasure. The Pump should run and time out when KEYED. If not run the pump from the ALDL CONNECTOR!! Did you reset the inertia switch?? Check the oil for fuel contamination. And pull the vacuum hose off the preasure regulator and key the ignition. Check the regulator vacuum nipple for fuel. If fuel is present the regulator is shot. Is the pump preasure OK?? Then check spark and make sure its at the plugs. Then compression and make sure its high enough. Then get a NOID LIGHT and check injector pulses. One is missing or low. Then post back. The mustang has the pump relay under the drivers seat. I think the 90 is one that does. You will have to dig in and find the issue. The smoke that came from under the hood could be anything. If its not visible damage its going to be TUFF. Do the tests and post back the INFO Peace Tom

Note if the pump does not run when keyed that issue will have to be addressed. Check the fuel pressure. Run the pump from the ALDL CONNECTOR AND READ FUEL PRESSURE. NO PUMP NO START. Peace Tom

Here is one of my SECRET TIPS I WILL SHARE WITH YOU. The FUEL PUMP RELAY HAS A GREEN PLUG. Their you go another tip from the BIG RENZO!!!!!!!!

:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay Mr. Renzo, here we go haha.

Replaced fuel pump because after the death/smoke, it wouldn't prime at all. I still cannot hear the fuel pump prime, even after replacement. Also, checked spark and there is none. TFI? Ignition switch?

Reset the inertia switch, no difference. Was going to check starter solenoid but I can't seem to find it. Anyone have any idea where it is? Although I've done a good amount of work on the car I've never replaced the starter/solenoid. Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
OK 34. DOE'S THE ENGINE CRANK. Why worry about the solenoid if it cranks. Also is the cam spinning and the rotor spinning??? Did you check the TB???? You are going to have to check fuel preasure and spark. Without spark the ball game is all over. sounds like multiple troubles. Start doing some trouble shooting to eliminate components. Start with fuel pressure. Then spark. then the TB. Make sure the DIZZY IS SPINNING and the fuel pump is producing 40 PSI + or - Peace Tom

DID you run the pump from the ALDL connector???

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, engine does crank but doesn't actually start. Cam is spinning, do I just try and start without the distributor cap on to see if the rotor is spinning? Checked the TB, all clear and free.

Not sure how to run from the ALDL connector. Could you go into detail about this please? I'd like to try it but everything I find online is a nightmare.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay checked the fuel regulator, and came up dry. Not an ounce of fuel. So what next? xD

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, just did the jump from the ALDL to get codes and came up with all 3's. Fuel injector pulse is not at desired setting. Any ideas? Or did I do it wrong, because it didn't throw the two 12's before, only 3's.

·
Registered
428 Posts
your fuel pump wasnt the problem to begin with...if you smelled smoke/or what ever the hell it was, then its obviously wiring. put a new fuel pump relay in it (10-15 bucks) or at least check it to see if your getting power to your pump when you have the key on. If you cant hear the pump turn on with the key then i wouldnt start changing things on the engine because your problem is still trying to get the pump to work. The starter solenoid is attatched to the drivers side strut tower, but if your car turns over then its fine and you can throw that idea out the window.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tested relay, it's good. Pump doesn't prime. Any ideas we haven't tried?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
OK lets start over. If the pump does not RUN. Jump the ALDL connector and test it. Once again does it run from the ALDL test connector??????????? If not i can tell you how to test it. So do the test and post back. Also pull on the FUSE links to see if one has been blown. That may have been what you saw that smoked. Are the fuse links OK?? DID YOU RUN THE PUMP FROM THR RELAY??? If not DO IT. Then post back. It seems like you have an issue with powering up the PUMP. Check the Fuse Links. The ECM primes and times out the pump circuit if the car is KEYED and not started. Once again check the pump circuit from the ALDL connector to confirm that the relay is actually good and powered up. You also do not have SPARK so you definately have a wiring ISSUE. Why would you change a Fuel Pump if you have multiple things wrong NO SPARK NO PUMP:nono::nono:Start testing FUSE LINKS then Post Back

:shrug:shrug:cursing::cursing:

·
Registered
428 Posts
and be careful with wiring and fuel...all it takes is one wrong move to ruin your day/car/shop/self, or all 4.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts