Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ecoboost Premium convertible
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This morning, I got out on an empty highway before the rains came... I put it in Track mode, and took a few minutes to familiarize myself with the paddle shifters. Until this Mustang I’d been driving manual transmissions almost exclusively for 40 years, so the paddles are completely new to me.

It‘s wonderful! Being able to put it through 10 gears is a trip. I was able to use the gears to slow down at an exit. Won‘t do that much if at all again, but it was fun to do it once. And I topped out at 90mph, and that felt slow! The tach was just below 2000rpm in 10th gear at that speed, so clearly there’s vast capability for more speed before getting to the 6500 redline. Which, btw, there’s also far more torque in this car than I‘m used to - and getting to 5500rpm in 5th gear was easy. Given the engine is smaller than on my Subaru (2010 Impreza 2.5, not turbo), it’s quite fascinating that it has so much more power.

I will not be pushing it that way with any frequency. I bought this car as a cruiser, not a racer. But it’s nice to experience what it’s capable of doing.

EDIT: I thought I clicked on ecoboost talk. Turns out I posted in ecoboost tech. Mods, please move.

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
Moved as requested.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
I have been wondering about those paddle shifters, how well do they work in real life? Thinking I might get a newer Mustang someday, and would want to use it on road track, where manual control of the gears is pretty important. Usually we want to force downshifts when approaching a corner, and hold gears longer than an automatic normally would hold them.

When I have rented cars with the paddle shifters, I found them awkward; because the shifts don't happen right away, and the steering wheel can get in the way.

When you shift, do you just keep the gas floored and hit the shifter; or do you lift slightly, like in a manual? If you keep the gas floored and just hit the paddle, is there a pause or does it shift right away?

And I guess there is no avoiding the issue that the paddles can be reversed when the steering wheel is turned for a corner. I guess on a track this would not be a big deal because the wheel would only be turned maybe 45 degrees or so. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the paddle locations are an issue when you’re pulling out of a tight corner. No question. And there is indeed a perceptible delay when you shift, though while it’s perceptible it really doesn’t seem to be functionally problematic. You can keep the accelerator down when shifting.

I’m just so used to the instant feedback of the manual transmission.... I really can’t begin to speak to how this might affect those of you who actually race these cars.

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
I have been wondering about those paddle shifters, how well do they work in real life? Thinking I might get a newer Mustang someday, and would want to use it on road track, where manual control of the gears is pretty important. Usually we want to force downshifts when approaching a corner, and hold gears longer than an automatic normally would hold them.

I guess on a track this would not be a big deal because the wheel would only be turned maybe 45 degrees or so. Any thoughts on that?
Almost all of my personal DD’s have always been equipped with a manual transmission. I love controlling my gear selection the way I want it. Now with that being said...

My 370Z nismo has a 7-speed automatic, and paddle shifters. Nissan definitely got it right with their’s. I love the paddles on the Nissan. The transmission has different selectable modes and all can utilize the paddles. I use them with the transmission’s manual mode, and that thing is awesome. It’s almost like driving a manual transmission car without the clutch. I wish I could have that setup and tune in my Mustang. It shifts hard, and fast and the paddles are such that I’ve not had any issues with paddle positions in a turn. If however you did have an issue with paddle position, all you have to do is grab the floor shifter. When it’s in manual mode, the shift can be controlled with the stick as we. . The stick doesn’t interfere with the paddles and vice-versa.

If I could get setup in my next Mustang, I’d probably get yelled at by the wife more often when she rides with me.

+1 vote for paddle shifters (if done right).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yesterday I got my first ‘fishtail‘ exiting a corner. Not severe, just enough to know what it takes to get to that point.

I’ll find an empty parking lot (no light poles etc, no hazards) in which to get it to that point again, and push it a bit beyond. Practice it. Learn how the car responds and how to handle it. That way, if a road situation forces me to react in a way that oversteers like that, I’ll know what the car will do and therefore know what I need to do.

What I do know is that my Subaru with its AWD sticks to the road effortlessly at significantly higher speeds in such corners.

118 Posts
Yesterday I got my first ‘fishtail‘ exiting a corner. Not severe, just enough to know what it takes to get to that point.

I’ll find an empty parking lot (no light poles etc, no hazards) in which to get it to that point again, and push it a bit beyond. Practice it. Learn how the car responds and how to handle it. That way, if a road situation forces me to react in a way that oversteers like that, I’ll know what the car will do and therefore know what I need to do.

What I do know is that my Subaru with its AWD sticks to the road effortlessly at significantly higher speeds in such corners.
Be careful! The rush can be fun and exciting but make sure you don't end up in a ditch 😉

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Be careful! The rush can be fun and exciting but make sure you don't end up in a ditch 😉
Thanks! I have no intention of doing them in the streets. It was an accidental thing (used to taking that corner in the Impreza), but once in it I went with it. I knew my speed was not enough to get me in trouble, and I modulated the gas pedal correctly to deal with it.

But I do need to learn it thoroughly. I did the same with the Impreza in my first few months of ownership. I think such practice should be required to get and maintain a driver’s license.

118 Posts
Thanks! I have no intention of doing them in the streets. It was an accidental thing (used to taking that corner in the Impreza), but once in it I went with it. I knew my speed was not enough to get me in trouble, and I modulated the gas pedal correctly to deal with it.

But I do need to learn it thoroughly. I did the same with the Impreza in my first few months of ownership. I think such practice should be required to get and maintain a driver’s license.
That's what we get for driving RWD cars, they can be tail-happy at times 😅

A part of me agrees with the need to go deeper into a car's handling behavior and recovering from instances like that. Makes our streets a lot safer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts