Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive had an engine out of an explorer for over a year and finally got motivated to do a build. i got the block freshened up and the heads too. they are the gt40p heads and i was thinking about a port job and bigger cam. any recommendations and numbers you've seen? i was planning on the port, cam, 24lbs injectors, throttle body, MAF, upper and lower intake. im planning on buying a roller to throw it in and i want something to beat on at the track and on weekends. I just want opinions and recommendations on what you think.

·
Registered
653 Posts
35-308-8 - Magnum

thats a decent cam for the gt40p heads. should provide good driveability while still helping unlock the potential of your ported heads.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Porting is an excellent idea! i would definitely go with a set of roller rockers. With any camshaft and rockers other than stock, it is pretty much a necessity to install some better valve springs. The stock pieces are very weak.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any rockers you would recommend? also ant intakes you would recommend?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
I would sell the gt40 heads for $400 if they are fresh with papers. Buy a set of edelbrock e streets or tfs 170 heads instead of spending $ on a port job. Ported gt40 with a good cam and intake (holley systemax II) will be lucky to be at 300 hp. You will be well over that with a good cam, that intake and TFS 170 heads when they go on sale again.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Spdjnky has some good advice there, it is 100% correct. I'm not against GT40 heads or anything like that, I actually use them myself currently. But I know, first hand, their limitations.

Scorpion makes good rockers for a good price. Crane also makes a good set of 1.7s if you stick with the GT40P heads.

A GT40 intake is an alright intake if you stick with the GT40P heads, but again, it will require port work to flow decently well. If you don't mind spending the change, the Holley Systemax and the Edelbrock Victor EFI are excellent pieces. They will work well with better heads as well.

If you stick with the GT40P heads, there is no real reason to get heavier injectors. If this route is chosen, just get an SN95 70mm housing and stick with the 19# injectors.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i should keep the stock injectors with port work and cam?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
You probably can, you may be getting close to their limit. I would wait until it's proven that you need them before upgrading them. If by chance you are over the limit of 19# injectors, it won't be by much so you're not going to hurt anything.
Keep in mind that if heavier injectors are required, a bigger fuel pump will almost definitely be required.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, im aware of that. i just want a budget build that will kick my friends hatch w/ the trick flow do up. hes makin like 310 to the wheel, i want to gut mine with 3.73s against his stock 2.73s lol

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
If you really want to, for sure, get close to 300rwhp, you need to look at better heads than the GT40s. GT40 will get you 260-280 usually, but anything past that is a hit and miss.

3.73s are a great choice for a manual trans car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i've heard of people getting 300+ from the gt40p's ported with ported upper and loer intake. i already have work on the heads w/ the paperwork but wouldnt get near the return by selling them and buying new heads. so im gonna do with what i got i guess...
i just want something to play around with i guess, maybe bigger things after college

1 - 11 of 11 Posts