Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A previous thread got me thinking about gathering some info on good engine builders and installers since these forums will keep shrinking as time goes on and some people with experience might start leaving.

Down the road when my motor goes I'm going to swap it out for a built motor and remount my Whipple. At this point I have no clue where I want to get my motor from, nor whom to install it.

Can you guys post some of your experience with different engine builders(good or bad) and possibly where you've had them installed.

I live in NJ, so my plan is to order one online and have it shipped to a local shop for installation. Also things to look out for would be helpful(ie Buyer Beware). I hear horror stories from time to time. I definitely don't wanna walk away with some 15-20k install/build cost. In that event I may as well buy a new stang and start over. So again, appreciate anyones help!

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Two best Modular engine builders in the Country are John T from Modular Performance and Al P from BOSS 330 Racing!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two best Modular engine builders in the Country are John T from Modular Performance and Al P from BOSS 330 Racing!:bigthumbsup
Does MP make a 4.6? They don't seem to have many shortblocks on their site.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Im getting a Brenspeed 302. The only bad story I heard about it was a guy on another forum who installed it himslef and blew it up. But JDM is my second choice since its in NJ. Im sticking with Brenspeed as they have been with me for all of my mods and even try to help me when I mess things up staying on the phone with me for long periods of time. Grade A customer service.

A word to the wise. It would be better to have the same place build, install and tune it. Otherwise if something goes wrong they will all point the finger at the other guy.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im getting a Brenspeed 302. The only bad story I heard about it was a guy on another forum who installed it himslef and blew it up. But JDM is my second choice since its in NJ. Im sticking with Brenspeed as they have been with me for all of my mods and even try to help me when I mess things up staying on the phone with me for long periods of time. Grade A customer service.

A word to the wise. It would be better to have the same place build, install and tune it. Otherwise if something goes wrong they will all point the finger at the other guy.
Are you saying you would have Brenspeed install it? Or are you saying JDM would be your second choice as a builder and installer?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I used JPC as builder, installer, tuner. First-rate all the way. That goes for their customer service, responsiveness to my questions or changes I had along the way, quality of work, expertise and advice, etc. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys,

Any input on what I should be looking for size wise? 298, 302, etc? Is there a big difference between the 302 and a 298?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Any input on what I should be looking for size wise? 298, 302, etc? Is there a big difference between the 302 and a 298?
Generally more displacement equals more power. For instance, if you're making 450 hp with 281 cubic inches that's 1.60 hp per cubic inch. If you keep everything the same, theoretically just by adding the extra cubes will mean 477 hp at 298 ci and 483 hp at 302 ci, both still at the 1.6 hp per ci ratio.

But the 298 and 302 are undersquare, or stroker engines, meaning the stroke is longer than the bore size. Stock 281's are almost square at 90 x 90.2 mm, ideal for quick, high revving engines. The longer the stroke, the slower it will be to rev due to longer piston travel. But the difference won't really be noticeable. I see the B302 shortblock is more undersquare with a 3.554" bore and 3.800" stroke. In the old days we used to call these torque engines, built for lower rpm torque applications such as towing, boats, monster trucks, etc. I don't think that really applies now especially on boosted applications.

In any case, if you want to redline at 7500 rpm's or even much higher, you want more of a square engine, with bore and stroke being as close as possible. To achieve this however, you need a beefed-up valvetrain with hi-rev springs, a cam that still produces power up there, titanium retainers, etc etc etc.

If you keep rpm's at near the stock redline, it becomes less expensive and more manageable and you still take advantage of the extra power more displacement provides. I don't know the specific differences between typical 298 and 302 shortblocks but I'm sure both are fairly equal, will provide you extra power due to the extra cubes, and piece of mind due to the forged rods, crank, and pistons.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Does MP make a 4.6? They don't seem to have many shortblocks on their site.
That's like asking if McDonalds makes hamburgers, haha!
To answer your question YES John builds Stout 4.6L's, I like his bored and stroked Modular 5.0L. Johnny Lightning is another very good builder:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's like asking if McDonalds makes hamburgers, haha!
To answer your question YES John builds Stout 4.6L's, I like his bored and stroked Modular 5.0L. Johnny Lightning is another very good builder:bigthumbsup
LOL. I figured that, but I thought I'd toss that q out there :)

Generally more displacement equals more power. For instance, if you're making 450 hp with 281 cubic inches that's 1.60 hp per cubic inch. If you keep everything the same, theoretically just by adding the extra cubes will mean 477 hp at 298 ci and 483 hp at 302 ci, both still at the 1.6 hp per ci ratio.

But the 298 and 302 are undersquare, or stroker engines, meaning the stroke is longer than the bore size. Stock 281's are almost square at 90 x 90.2 mm, ideal for quick, high revving engines. The longer the stroke, the slower it will be to rev due to longer piston travel. But the difference won't really be noticeable. I see the B302 shortblock is more undersquare with a 3.554" bore and 3.800" stroke. In the old days we used to call these torque engines, built for lower rpm torque applications such as towing, boats, monster trucks, etc. I don't think that really applies now especially on boosted applications.

In any case, if you want to redline at 7500 rpm's or even much higher, you want more of a square engine, with bore and stroke being as close as possible. To achieve this however, you need a beefed-up valvetrain with hi-rev springs, a cam that still produces power up there, titanium retainers, etc etc etc.

If you keep rpm's at near the stock redline, it becomes less expensive and more manageable and you still take advantage of the extra power more displacement provides. I don't know the specific differences between typical 298 and 302 shortblocks but I'm sure both are fairly equal, will provide you extra power due to the extra cubes, and piece of mind due to the forged rods, crank, and pistons.
Thanks Hubkap! Very informative write-up. Is it just me or do I not see too many builders make a forged 281 block? I'm assuming the FRPP Aluminator is a 298?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Is it just me or do I not see too many builders make a forged 281 block? I'm assuming the FRPP Aluminator is a 298?
The blocks start out as 281's (which the Aluminator is) then builders drop in a stroker crank to increase cubic inches. The longer the stroke though, the more side loading the pistons place on the cylinder walls at the bottom of travel. The 298 is typically a standard bore block, but with a 3.75" stroke crankshaft. Again, more cubic inches equal more horsepower and the 4.6 blocks can't be bored over more than .030 to add cubic inches that way.

Ford does, however, produce a "big bore" block that comes with a 3.700 bore standard. Drop a 3.750 crankshaft in it and you have 322/323 cubic inches - or 5.3 liters!! Massive power potential. At the previously mentioned 1.6 hp per cubic inch, that's 516 hp versus 450, with no other mods. I think that block is a bit more expensive though, but I haven't looked it up. DSS sells built shortblocks using it. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
My bad on my confusing english. Im going with a Brenspeed B302. My second choice is a JDM 302. Im planning on November now. I was going to do it this spring but I just bought a house and need to furnish the thing.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My bad on my confusing english. Im going with a Brenspeed B302. My second choice is a JDM 302. Im planning on November now. I was going to do it this spring but I just bought a house and need to furnish the thing.
Ah the good 'ol money pit! I know that all too well, lol :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts