Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any little tricks for cleaning the motor? No grease or oil yet. Just plain old road dirt.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Larry,

Best way to go is a nice wash with some cleaning product at a self car wash. Most of the car wash do even have the cleaning products in their high pressure washer.
Make sure that you have a 7mm wrench with you - those rubber boots around the coils are definitely not water tight :eyepoppin ......
(in other words: I am pretty sure that the motor won't run on all 8 cylinders right after the wash)

Have fun!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
engineer76 said:
Larry,

Best way to go is a nice wash with some cleaning product at a self car wash. Most of the car wash do even have the cleaning products in their high pressure washer.
Make sure that you have a 7mm wrench with you - those rubber boots around the coils are definitely not water tight :eyepoppin ......
(in other words: I am pretty sure that the motor won't run on all 8 cylinders right after the wash)

Have fun!
Yep, that's what I was hoping to avoid. I don't mind putting the time into a little detail work, it's just so hard to get my hands in there! Someone should develop a very small wand that will attach to a hose. Hey! Sounds like a good job for an engineer!:smilie

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
I clean my engine about every two weeks ! so it really has no time to get really dirty !

Thats all you have to do , Preventive Maintenance !:)

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
What about those garden-type sprayers - they have small wand and low pressure. A guy could get bottle of Simple Green, mix it maybe 1-4 cleaner to water and spray on motor. Then with paint brush or maybe one of those longer handled parts brushes to agitate dirt/dust and wash off w/straight water using the garden sprayer again. Maybe just using a spray bottle for everything would work just as well?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Being a champ in engine cleaning (those f#$%ng classic muscle cars just always leak some oil) I found out that it is really the easiest way, to do it nice (lots of water and pressure) with the trade off that some ignition parts might get some water. If you have the coil pack wrench with you, and a can of air, like those office air dusters from staples, you'll be all set.

The only part where you should pay attenton is the alternator. They don't like the dirty water and dust, because it could cause a short in the internals. I've heared from people who had an alternator fail on them because of the high pressure washer - However it never happened to me.

I won't clean my engine/e-compartment until march because our winters up here in New England S#$%! Lots of sand and lots of salt. I usually do that in the spring and also give my car a nice shine.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
meatball said:
What about those garden-type sprayers - they have small wand and low pressure. A guy could get bottle of Simple Green, mix it maybe 1-4 cleaner to water and spray on motor. Then with paint brush or maybe one of those longer handled parts brushes to agitate dirt/dust and wash off w/straight water using the garden sprayer again. Maybe just using a spray bottle for everything would work just as well?
Guess we think alike (great minds and all that).:winks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.