Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 Lx 5.0 5 speed. Two months ago converted to mass air, worked
great for one month, then went to start and motor crankes for twenty to thirty seconds when cold, and then runs fine. If you shut it off immediately it will fire right up, but leave it for five or ten minutes it is hard to start again.
I have fuel pressure but no spark no spark at coil wire or at plug. I have tried module on distributor, changed the whole distributor, computer, coil, solinoid, rechecked all wiring in mass air conversion, mass air meter, check cap rotor, all ground wires engine and chassie, now I am lost....Help.(Im waiting until everyone is gone before starting my car)

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Do a fuel pressure leakdown test.

If it's too fast, either the pump or the pressure regulator needs replaced.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
How do you know it has fuel pressure ? try turning the key on and waiting for the fuel pump to kick off then crank it . It should only take about 3 seconds for the pump to kick off . Other than that I would suspect the module . One more thing you can try is the ignition switch module . it's on the side of the steering column . There is a small rod going from the ignition cylinder down to the module . It's held on by safety torx screws t-15 I think . anyways it's like a 5 dollar part and there was a recall on it , so if you havent changed it yet you may as well just do it anyhow .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cranks to long before starting

car has a fuel pressure guage and a ajustible regulator,when i turn key on pressure jumps to 32 psi and fuel pump shuts off.the only thing i know for sure is that there is no spark. i think i will try ignition switch and let you know how i made out thanks for the tip blue lighting

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Thats cool . Let us know how it turns out for ya .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fordgazm said:
Thats cool . Let us know how it turns out for ya .
Hey man how is it going? Finally got around to picking up the module switch
decieded to drop oil before changing switch.Went to start car but it would'ntstart at all. No spark...went ahead and changed switch still no spark. Have power to coil when key is turned on..no spark. Things I have checked out..
Module on distributor
Coil
New 8m wires
New MSD cap and rotor
Checked all fuseable links with ohemeter
Anybody...Any idea..It started cranking over for a good 30 secs before starting to now it wont start at all....Help!!!!!!!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Have you checked the stator (hall-effect sensor) inside the distributor? It usually goes out intermitently, and doesn't like to work when the engine is hot or cold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.