Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to see if there any others expericing engine detonation. I have an '01 gt w/45k miles on it with pulley's,cat back,x-pipe,CAI and T-body. The engnine has been detonating once it gets up to operating temp and when I am on the freeway running around 75-85 mph. When I hit the gas it starts pinging. What can I do to keep it from pinging?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Is there a chip or tuner on the car?? The quick fix is to run a higher grade gas. I would get it tuned and have the air/ fuel ratio checked out. After I put my intake plenum and throttle body on my car went pretty lean, so I had to get it tuned to get it straightened out. You have upgraded pretty much the same as me so I would suspect that you might have the same thing going on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not have a chip although I tried one about a year ago and they could not get it programmed correctly(Diablo chip). It was detonating at WOT, they tried programming it three times so I got tired of back an forth and returned it. So when you say to get it tuned do you mean with a chip or take it to a shop, can the dealer do this? And about how much will this cost?? Thanks for the comments!

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
If its really hot out and im running 87 , and I floor it (at high speeds ), its done it a few times, so on hot days I run 89 and get on it less ! all fixed:winks

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Maybe something isn't right with the O2 sensors. Just a shot in the dark there though. If they aren't reading correctly, the ECU will read an incorrect A/F ratio and adjust the fuel table according to what it thinks is right and not what is actually going on. Also if the MAF isn't reading correctly it can have the same effect on the intake side of the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking it may be the 02 sensors,I had to get MIL eliminators and for some reason they were not working, the CEL kept comming on. Then I put the MIL on the front cats and then all of sudden the CEL did not come on and has not since. Sounds like it could be numerous things. Its frustrating trying to nail it down and I do not want to damage the engine.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
You should probably remove the MIL eliminators from the front set of cats and see is you still get the pinging problem.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Could also be the MAF, if it gets contaminated with K&N oil it will lean the fuel.
One more to try is to RE-Index the MAF (rotate it), Mafs are a bit succeptible to changes in the intake tract (CAI).
Also..is your CAI a true CAI? meaning, is the filter shielded from the engine heat?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info! I am going to switch the MIL's and try and clean the MAF. My CAI is sheilded from the engine bay through the fender well. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hey I feel ya I have the same problem get into a higher gear 5th mainly and step on it and I hear just pinging away, I will say running a higher grade of fuel does work but i also am in search of a permanent fix

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
The 02 sensors won't cause detonation. Whenever they go bad, the computer makes the mixture super rich to prevent detonation. Either the MAF is dirty or the CAI/TB combo has caused a lean condition, in which case you would need a new tune.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.