Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine died suddenly while driving. It restarted, drove it home and it has not run since. Voltage to the coil is 6 volts, 12 when at START. I replaced the coil and condenser today. The engine fires at START, but dies instantly when the key is released to RUN. This is an intermittent problem because I just slaved in a known good spark plug, grounded it and went to start. On the first attempt, I got a good spark on the plug, on the second attempt to start I got no spark at all. What the heck? The points are still set, the timing has not moved, definitely getting fuel.Also did the wire shake with the multi-meter attached. I posted this problem previously under Voltage at coil. Thanks once again in advance for any and all ideas!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Do you have pertronix? I had that happen to me yesterday while I was driving. It turned out that my pertronix's 12v feed from the ignition switch had come unplugged, so it wouldn't stay running. As soon as I reattched the plugs it started right up and ran fine.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got in a hurry and forgot to add the engine description. It is a 1964 with a 170 ci. engine with an automatic transmission. Still uses the points and condenser ignition which are gapped/ dwell perfect. Sorry for forgetting the engine data. Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
You need to check the voltage on the + term of the coil with the key in the run position, it should be either battery voltage (points open) or around 7-9 volts if the points are closed, if this voltage is missing the resistor wire from the ignition switch has gone bad, I don't know if a replacement resistor wire is still available but an alternative is to run a regular wire and install a ballast resistor on the firewall. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting a steady 7 volts with the key ON and 12 at the BATT side of the coil during start. Only getting ground at the DIST side of the coil with the points closed. Using my multi-meter I have verified the rotor, coil/plug wire is good. For some reason I am simply not getting spark out of the coil and when the problem is found we will all laugh but in the mean time I am pulling both my hairs out. Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
This will be silly but are you sure the wire from the coil to the cap is plugged in all the way?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for everyones help. This morning I replaced my brand new points with another set and the car started right up! I have inspected the removed points and do not see any apparent fault so that is a little strange, but the car is running just fine. Once again, thanks all for the great ideas!!!!!:kooky:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
There are several things you can do to get more longevity and performance out of your points, I rarely have to adjust mine, here's what I do: 1st start with a good set one that has a phenolic rubbing block and not nylon, 2nd if the contacts are not square to each other tweak the movable contact until they are either square or as square as they can be, 3rd clean the contacts I use a piece of paper sliding between them, 4th put a small dap of the grease that comes with them on the rubbing block on the side of it closest to the contact (as the rubbing block wears it will apply more grease), 5th wipe the dist cam completely clean then apply a thin coat of the point grease all around the cam, 6th (optional) since I run my engine so high, I up the tension a little. Then install your points and cond, I use a dwell meter to set them usually around 30 deg, then check your ignition initial timing as the dwell change will affect it. Good Luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts