Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
It''ll Fit, but the fox pan (Double hump is the ticket)

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Not positive on these kinds of swaps but won't a K-member from a 94-95 with the 5.0 OHV be needed for this combination? The information on the link has the Mustang fitment stopping at 1995.

Or perhaps an aftermarket tube K-member?

The modular motor and the 5.0 OHV don't have the same motor mounts right?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Your talking abut a 351w based stroker correct? The fox body pan will fit right in your setup w/ no issues( for the 351). We just put a Bennet 427 in my buddies '97 w/ lonk tube Kooks. He does have a tubular k-member as does mine , but that really only benefits header clearance issues, which w/ that motor you will want some good size tubes.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Hi, I own a 1997 Mustang GT and I want to swap out the stock 4.6 engine for a 427ci engine(Ford Racing 427ci 535HP Rear Sump Crate Engine at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!) It says it will fit the 1995 Mustang, will it still fit my 1997 because they have the same frame? If not, what needs to be modded?

Installing this crate engine in your '97 will require; wiring it to work with your '97 and its' PCM, plumbing it to work with your factory fuel tank/lines radiator and coolant lines and oil system.

Beyond that, the only part you will really need is going to be a K-member from a 94-95 5.0L. You may be able to cut the mounts for your 4.6 off your k-member and weld the mounts for a 5.0L onto them, but it may be easier to just buy a full 5.0L K member.

Definitely a great choice in crate engines, though!

Let me know if you have any questions in the future!

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
So if I change my k-member to a 95 5.0 k-member I should have no problems? :)
Yes, as long as you have a K-member in there that can support a 5.0L motor and not a 4.6, you will be good to go!

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any questions in the future!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will it fit my stock transmission aswell? Also is it carbureted or direct injected?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
The 5.0 OHV and the V6 share the same transmission bolt pattern which is different than the 4.6 modular motor.

So the stock modular 4.6 transmission will not bolt up to a 5.0 OHV or V6 OHV motor.

For a crate motor, the choice of induction is up to you.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Yes, you will likely need a different transmission than what your stock 97 GT has.

check out the product page from Ford Racing: Ford Racing Performance Parts

There is a lot more specific info and a link to the Ford Racing Tech Line. I would recommend giving them a buzz (800) FORD788 to get all the specific info you would like for your application.

·
Registered
540 Posts
What do you wanna do w/ the car? Curves, drag?

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Any recommendations on transmissions?
What do you wanna do w/ the car? Curves, drag?
^^this.

What are your plans for the car? Did you call the tech line? I would go with whatever will hold the power and bolt up the easiest with the least modifications required. Ask their techs what they suggest with that crate motor, they will have all the right answers!

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Yes, you will likely need a different transmission than what your stock 97 GT has.

check out the product page from Ford Racing: Ford Racing Performance Parts

There is a lot more specific info and a link to the Ford Racing Tech Line. I would recommend giving them a buzz (800) FORD788 to get all the specific info you would like for your application.
Which techs am I asking?

See my previous post. I quoted it above ^ ^ ^ ^

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Oh ok thanks. Another question... That engine makes 535 bhp, with a hellion twin turbo (Hellion Twin Turbo - Tuner Kit (96-04 GT, Mach 1, Cobra) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!) how much should I be expecting?

That crate motor comes iwht 10.4:1 compression ratio and all-forged internals, so it should be able to handle boost, no problem.

However, I haven't seen the Hellion kit bolted up to one, so I don't know for sure if it's possible.

I would recommend adding that to the list of things to ask the Ford Racing Tech.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts