Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, guys,

I need some help—I have a 67, stock 289, 4bbl A/C fastback. The car runs fine. It uses some oil, but, what the hell, it’s been 10 years since the engines been rebuilt. There’s no telling how many miles are on the rebuild ( the P.O. claims there has been only 3000 miles put on it in since the rebuild, and I tend to believe it, since it’s obvious the car was used sparingly over that time), or how good the rebuild was, because I didn’t buy it until 2004.

Here’s the thing. Since I bought it I have noticed an oil drip on the garage floor; Not a lot, about 2 drops a nite. I found it hard to believe that judging by the work done on the car, that the engine wasn’t done as well as the rest of the car, so I have to believe (though I have no proof) that the rear main seal was replaced during the rebuild. That being said, I have noticed that the more I use the car, the less it leaks, leading me to believe that the rear main seal is dry due to lack of use. For example, Sunday I took it to a local show and put about 75 miles on it, and today, after sitting in the garage since then, there is absolutely no evidence of a leak. The floor is bone dry and even the rear of the engine shows no fresh oil. Judging by the past, I can guarantee if I leave it sit for a couple of days, it will start to drip oil as before.

O.K. I know there are products out there that claim to soften old seals and gaskets. It seems to me I should try one before I tear into the rear seal replacement thing. Do any of you have any idea which additive will do the best job of softening the seal? If I’m going to try something, it might as well be the best! Any opinions?

Thanks for your help.

Jay67fast

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
I have tried a german product from a company called Liqui-Moly, and it worked fine on an old Mercedes Benz...the thing is i dont if LM is available in the US.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.