Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I read last night that our engines burn about a quart around the 1st 1000 miles. I wish i knew it earlier. I went to discover it was low one quart. I quickly filled it. I feel like an idiot cause I just tok a trip to tucson and back and I drive a lot (90% highway). The engine still feels fine however I am wondering if driving around for a while with one quart low could have caused some damage.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha, perfect. I come from a jeep and a 55 year old bug so this car is all new to me. thanks!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
according to the manual, if oil on dipstick is between upper and lower lines, you're fine

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Reading the title as I clicked on the thread I was expecting the dreaded "no oil on dipstick" but being a quart low should be no big deal as Ford increased the oil capacity on these engines to support longer oil change intervals.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Your engine is fine don't worry

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
644 Posts
No problem, Ford puts lots of quarts in all there new motors. One quart wont hurt, 3 to 4 low yes it would hurt some.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome, thanks for the reassurance guys. All i have to worry about now is when my next opportunity is to drive my car around. I love it!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the reassurance guys. All i have to worry about now is when my next opportunity is to drive my car around. I love it!
Yea man this cars sure are sweet. I don't regeret getting mine one bit. I love it too!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm at 1100 miles right now and added 2 qts. to bring halfway between the lower & upper holes (That's where it was the day I bought it) Hopefully this slows down!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
.5 qt

fvck this 15 character bs
it really cuts out the post whoring that is prevalent on most forums, it rids us of the +1 replies as well as the single word replies :bigthumbsup sorry, now back on topic

·
Registered
174 Posts
I suspect that all of these Coyote dipsticks are pessimistic.

I drained my oil and replaced it with 8 quarts and the level then showed to be midway in the cross hatched part of the dipstick. It wasnt even midway between the holes in the dipstick.

This was at the same level as when I received the car. I had thought that the factory didnt completely fill the crankcase.

If you guys are filling to the top hole-I think that you are overfilling the engine with oil.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thank u for opening this thread! I just got my 2011 GT 2 days ago and at 1000 miles its missing about 1-2 quarts as well. Hopefully filling it up tomorrow if i get the right oil (5w-20 is kinda hard to get here).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thank u for opening this thread! I just got my 2011 GT 2 days ago and at 1000 miles its missing about 1-2 quarts as well. Hopefully filling it up tomorrow if i get the right oil (5w-20 is kinda hard to get here).
If you add one or two quarts-you may be overfilling it! See my previous post.The dipstick isn't accurate.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I suspect that all of these Coyote dipsticks are pessimistic.

I drained my oil and replaced it with 8 quarts and the level then showed to be midway in the cross hatched part of the dipstick. It wasnt even midway between the holes in the dipstick.

This was at the same level as when I received the car. I had thought that the factory didnt completely fill the crankcase.

If you guys are filling to the top hole-I think that you are overfilling the engine with oil.
Does 8 quarts include the oil filter capacity though?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts