Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Gentlemen I am in the middle of rebuilding my 64 1/2 convertable. It has what I believe to be a 66 200ci. 6cy.
Originally it had a 289 but someone replaced it with the 6. Oh well it now runs pretty good, I replaced the bad distributor and it now runs with the key turned off. I dont mean deiseling it runs as thought the switch is still on and the only way turn it off is to pull the coil wire. This an intermittent problem doesnt happen all the time. About 50% of the time after it is warmed up. I have never seen this. I replaced the ignition switch but that doesnt seem to be the problem unless the new switch is bad. Timing is 12degrees advanced with the Carter carb.

Your input is appreciated

Mark

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
There was a similar post this week. You might look at it. In simple terms, the coil gets power from the starter solenoid during start, then the ignition switch at run. The pink resistor wire is joined to the wire from the solenoid. That is where you must be getting the power for the coil. Since it is intermittent and heat related something is expanding and making a connection.

Try replacing the solenoid and looking for a bad wire it that does not fix it.

Also read Veronica's blog dated April 2008.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
65 mustang keeps running with key off

I replaced the solenoid. Now it was staying running all of the time with the key off. I actually prefer this to an intermittent problem. Turns out there was a dead short and the wires finally melted themselfs together probably from the beat of the engine Bay. The wiring in this car is a rats nest so I am going to rewire the entire car. Am thinking about purchasing a kit from Painless. My car is actually a 64 1/2 Mustang and painless does not make a kit for a 64. Only a 65. My car already has been converted to use an alternator. Is that the only difference between a
64 and a 65? Anyone had experience using Painless kits.?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) There are lots of differences between a 64 1/2 and a 65. The headlight switch connector is different, the heater blower is wired differently, the horns are different, the turn signals are different, as are the back-up lights, if your car has them. Your car is way different from a 65.

The painless kit is anything but painless. Essentially, they give you spools of wire and a bunch of butt-splice connectors. And, after you have installed this in your car, you are completely on your own as far as trouble-shooting any future electrical problems. If you go with the as-original kit, at least help is available if you need it. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK I have been able to determine that the car is a 64 1/2

but still unsure of the engine. I think it is a 64 Falcon in the Mustang if I am decoding everything correctly.
The numbers on the engine are C4DE 6015A. I think that means 64 Falcon 170 CI. But it has 200ci valve cover on it? OY.

Mark

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
The casting number does no tell you what car it was installed in. It only tells you it was DESIGNED to be used in a Falcon but could go anywhere it was needed. Mustangs used standard engines that could be found in many other Ford products and rarely had their own numbers on them. Items only used on a Mustang, like a horn ring, would have a Mustang number. Other parts could well have numbers on them for a Fairlane, Falcon, Galaxie or anything else.

The Care and Feeding of Ponies: Casting Numbers/ Part Numbers

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I had the same problem on my 6 and replacing the solenoid didn't help either. I was told to remove one of the wires going to the front of the solenoid, I'll have to check which one, but that fixed the problem. Maybe someone here will tell me that was a bad idea though haha.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The casting number does no tell you what car it was installed in. It only tells you it was DESIGNED to be used in a Falcon but could go anywhere it was needed. Mustangs used standard engines that could be found in many other Ford products and rarely had their own numbers on them. Items only used on a Mustang, like a horn ring, would have a Mustang number. Other parts could well have numbers on them for a Fairlane, Falcon, Galaxie or anything else.

The Care and Feeding of Ponies: Casting Numbers/ Part Numbers
Excellent information

Thank you
Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts