Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2003 gt 2 valve. it's got comp. xe278ah cams. (.545lift, 277, 281 duration) mild ported heads, comp beehive valve springs, ported
typhoon lower intake, and upper plenum with 75mm throttle body.
bbk long tube headers, x-pipe, flomaster mufflers. it made 303hp at the rear wheels.
i made 6 pulls on the dyno with no problems, and about 30 miles of driving. recently i got a loud top end knock when running it hard, but it goes away after a few minutes. i changed the valve adjuster with oe fords, but i'm still getting the same problem.
any help is greatly appriciated.
kyle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is it a knock from the engine? or the chassis? If it might be the engine, check your oil pressure. It's best to use an aftermarket mechanical gauge to determine exact pressure at idle when warm and at 2000 rpms, also warm. If oil pressure is low, then you have a clearance issue, likely a bearing, causing low pressure and noise. If it's from the body, start by checking the motor mounts and related. If you can duplicate the noise in Neutral by revving the motor it will make it easier to diagnose... good luck to you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That being the case, avoid driving the car until you can check oil pressure. Often times if you catch it early, the damage can be repaired at a relatively low cost. The more you drive it, the better your chance of needing new 'expensive' parts... ie: rods, crankshaft or even a block. Take it from someone who's nearly thrown a rod <laughs> Think of engine knock as Automtive Cancer. Early diagnosis AND treatment increases your chances of survival without the expensive fees.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i checked oil presure, no problems there, even when it starts to knock it doesnt drop at all.
it also started to backfire threw the intake if crack the throttle fast, but not all the time?
kyle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.