Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced my engine with a late model block. I am trying to lover it onto the engine mounts and the apear to be spaced about 3" too far apart. So I cannot get the bolts in the holes or anywhere close. Are late model engines narrower than an original 67 and therefore do I need special engine mounts?
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
360 Posts
It seems that I recall hearing that the '67 Mustang uses a special one year only motor mount. Do you have the correct '67 motor mounts? I believe the simple(?) fix was to replace the frame perches with ones from a '68 and then use that year motor mount that is easier to find and less expensive.

I do not believe any of the later blocks were narrower, however they might have used different block mounting points? I do not think so however since the 5.0L EFI engine is such a popular swap into the early Mustang.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hi again.:)The 67s did have motor mounts different from the 66 and 68 cars, but you very seldom see them on cars any more because they are interchangeable with the more common 66 and 68 mounts.The bolt holes in the block are in the same places. The problem that comes to my mind is that the middle pieces of the motor mounts are missing.I seem to recall a fellow that had that going on here a while back.:)I don't remember who it was though.But, just to touch that base, you should have a piece that bolts to the frame, a piece that bolts to the block, and a third piece that hooks the other two together.It is possible to bolt a 65 motor mount straight to the frame bracket, but that has the mounts sitting too far apart.Hope that helps.:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well you are all right. The incorrect mount looks identical to the old ones until you inspect it carefully. Then you find it is slightly different. I ended up re using the original mounts until I can either fing the correct ones or do as you suggest which is to replace the bracket on the car to a 68 model. Sine I posted this question I found this article.

Thanks for your help
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/39446/index29.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.