Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last winter I put a new Mustang Unlimited engine harness in my 66 convertible. Ever since then I am getting a lot of engine noise on the radio. I did not change the plug wires, they are the same ones I have had for the last 4 years. Is there some kind of a noise filter I could get, or did I miss something when I put in the harness?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Describe the sounds

Over the last winter I put a new Mustang Unlimited engine harness in my 66 convertible. Ever since then I am getting a lot of engine noise on the radio. I did not change the plug wires, they are the same ones I have had for the last 4 years. Is there some kind of a noise filter I could get, or did I miss something when I put in the harness?
snapping or a whine which changes frequency with RPM?

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Is the harness anywhere near the plug wires or distributor?
Are the plug wires resistor wires?
Is there a cap in the distributor? When was the last time it was changed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The harness runs from the firewall down the left side inner fender, then behind the radiator support over to the solenoid on the right side inner fender. In other words in the stock location. The plug wires are resistor wire from Pertronix, with about 10K mi. on them, and the cap and rotor are about tha old too.
Should there be a condenser or a noise filter in the headlight wiring harness somewhere?

·
Registered
288 Posts
There is supposed to be a Radio Supression condenser on a 66. I have a 66 coupe, and it is mounted on one of the bolts that keeps the voltage regulator attached to the front support by the radiator. There is a yellow wire with a bullet connector that comes out of the voltage regulator part of the harness.

The radio supressor would attach to that bullet connector and be mounted and grounded to the voltage regulator as I wrote above.

In terms of finding one, I have not found a repro one, but imagine that most part stores would have something like that you could easily wire up and attach in a similiar fashion.

The attached diagram will show you what I am talking about.

·
Registered
910 Posts
To check if the noise is coming from an unshielded spark some place, take a portable AM radio and operate it near the car. If your still getting the noise the interference is from an unshielded spark. If not then you have noise on the DC wiring which can be shunted to ground with a capacitor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.