Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1998 mustang GT convertible with a 4.6L v8 and automatic tranny. It oddly has the oil cooler part that I've never seen on a GT.. anyways when doing an oil change and oil filter change I noticed there was antifreeze leaking from the cooler, not from where the oil filter attaches just where coolant goes to cool it, I took it to napa and autozone they didn't have o rings, seals or rebuild kits so they told me to contact ford but being Sunday I havent been able to contact ford yet, I was wondering if this is an easy fix, will rebuilding the air cooler, aka replacing the o rings fix the leak I saw? There's no oil mixed with coolant or vice versa all fluids are separate. I picked it up last week from a 75 year old man that used it in nice days with his wife. He owned it since 2009 he had kept it stock and maintained well its a beautiful car the reason I bought it and it runs great! But in concerned with the oil cooler leak. And dont really have 400 dollars for a new oil cooler unit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've got a 1998 mustang GT convertible with a 4.6L v8 and automatic tranny. It oddly has the oil cooler part that I've never seen on a GT.. anyways when doing an oil change and oil filter change I noticed there was antifreeze leaking from the cooler, not from where the oil filter attaches just where coolant goes to cool it, I took it to napa and autozone they didn't have o rings, seals or rebuild kits so they told me to contact ford but being Sunday I havent been able to contact ford yet, I was wondering if this is an easy fix, will rebuilding the air cooler, aka replacing the o rings fix the leak I saw? There's no oil mixed with coolant or vice versa all fluids are separate. I picked it up last week from a 75 year old man that used it in nice days with his wife. He owned it since 2009 he had kept it stock and maintained well its a beautiful car the reason I bought it and it runs great! But in concerned with the oil cooler leak. And dont really have 400 dollars for a new oil cooler unit.
And should I delete it or change the o rings n gaskets n hope no more leaks

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
The Cobra was the big option in '98, a hand built engine, and likely that some previous owner modified some parts from one or a similar setup. If you're not racing you don't need an oil cooler.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Cobra was the big option in '98, a hand built engine, and likely that some previous owner modified some parts from one or a similar setup. If you're not racing you don't need an oil cooler.
No racing here, just a daily driver 4.6l, should I delete it?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you're not racing you don't need an oil cooler.
I agree but when I told ford about it they told me to just replace it because the motor is probably used to it by now? Will I ruin my motor if I take off the oil cooler

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I agree but when I told ford about it they told me to just replace it because the motor is probably used to it by now? Will I ruin my motor if I take off the oil cooler
That's the most ridiculous thing that I've heard all day. Engines don't have a memory of what they did yesterday.

An oil cooler is typically a bad idea in a daily driver anyway, because it can reduce the time it takes for the oil to get to proper operating temperature. That is, the oil is too cold for too long, and more wear can happen when the oil isn't at the proper viscosity.

I'm running a 2.0L 4 cylinder engine in my daily driver and it has a plastic valve cover and overhead cams. It also has an oil temperature gauge. Until the oil temperature gets to at least 150F or so I can hear the lifters clicking away because the engine is designed to run with the oil at 212F. The oil temperature lags behind the coolant temperature during warm-up in almost all automotive engines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well im headed up to ford to either delete it or replace the gaskets, guess I needa make up my mind quick haha, thank you..

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
No wonder Ford said that- it's the more expensive option.

·
Super Moderator
3,050 Posts
@98'SlowStang
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your Account Settings.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The radiator is connected to it and the oil filter sits on top of it i looked up the part number off it and it shows up as a oil cooler for cobras
Sorry, Late to the party as usual. I had a '96 GT 'vert with the exact same feature. This was apparently an option. It's nothing a PO did, it came from the factory this way. I, too, had a coolant leak and it was difficult to figure out what I needed. There are two different gaskets, one for the "normal" cooler and one for the "Cobra" cooler, i.e. the one you have. I no longer have the part number, but FelPro makes one. The thing is something of a PITA to install but not extremely difficult. IIRC the gasket goes between the engine block and the oil filter adapter, but memory is a bit fuzzy. I sold the car some years ago.

Reactions: 90lxwhite

·
Registered
101 Posts
You need this kit to rebuild it. Ford says it's not rebuildable, but it is. If you take it to a mechanic make sure the read the directions and understand they have to take it apart and replace the internal O-Rings. My mechanic's helper didn't do that and I didn't figure it out until it leaked everywhere again. I did it myself for round two.
OIL COOLER O-RING GASKETS & HEX TOOL REBUILD KIT 1996-2004 COBRA & MUSTANGS | Speed Concepts

Oh and you can't delete the oil cooler without getting a part from a 4.6 that doesn't have an oil cooler. There's nothing to connect the radiator hose to if you remove the oil cooler.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update, I changed the gaskets with GT SVT gaskets off Amazon, bolted it all back together and it leaked in the exact same spot, should I try the cobra gaskets as mentioned above or should I replace the oil cooler with a new one.. id hate to spend 385 on a new oil cooler if gaskets are just 55.. plus a whole new oil change for a second time...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My 98 GT has a oil cooler that is dripping coolant very slowly. Now I drained fluids and took it all off and cleaned it. Replaced the adapter housing gaskets, replaced all 6 o rings n gaskets for the oil cooler, unless I done something wrong. Upon putting it together it still drips in the same spot.. I took it to a mechanic and he said he can do 2 things, changes gaskets o rings n fluids again or replace the oil cooler for a new one.. what are my options can I delete it and not worry about anything over heating? Its a all stock 98 GT convertible I got off an older gentlemen. I love the car but im in a pinch n dont know what to do. The mechanic told me not to drive it either so its in the shop waiting for instructions.. what to do..

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
My 98 GT has a oil cooler that is dripping coolant very slowly. Now I drained fluids and took it all off and cleaned it. Replaced the adapter housing gaskets, replaced all 6 o rings n gaskets for the oil cooler, unless I done something wrong. Upon putting it together it still drips in the same spot.. I took it to a mechanic and he said he can do 2 things, changes gaskets o rings n fluids again or replace the oil cooler for a new one.. what are my options can I delete it and not worry about anything over heating? Its a all stock 98 GT convertible I got off an older gentlemen. I love the car but im in a pinch n dont know what to do. The mechanic told me not to drive it either so its in the shop waiting for instructions.. what to do..
I don’t have any advice on deleting it but I’m sure it’s out there somewhere. I imagine there are some caps and plugs involved. If you get it deleted and leak free there will be no worries about overheating. I imagine there are millions of cars on the road without an oil cooler.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I thought about deleting it on my cobra but was talked out of it. To do it you have to get the part that the radiator hose hook to from a 4.6 that didn't have an oil cooler. For xhanging the orings the center was a pain to push out, and back in. To keep from messing them up we oiled the orings before pushing the center back in the housing of the oil cooler. You may have pinched one of those. Good luck either way you chose to go.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts