Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've rebuild quite a few engines and was thinking about rebuilding used, original 289/302/351s and selling them. Is it worth it?

I can pick up used engines from car shows for $200-300 all stock. Strip it down to the block, get it machined, and rebuild with new parts and possibly sell the original used parts. It would probably be around $700 to machine it and $1000-1500 in parts at least.

How much could I sell them for? Assuming I put on better than original parts, but not all out performance stuff.

All opinions welcome..

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Is this heads too? If it's an entire engine with heads I can't see how it would only cost $700 to machine the entire thing.

Just my own personal take on it, I don't think it would be worth your while to do it because your overhead would be great and therefore your profit margin would be miniscule unless you were selling some insanely expensive stock motors.

Professional engine builders can minimize overhead because they get pars at wholesale and have their own machine shop, all things which I'm presuming you probably don't have access to at the same cost.

And then you have to concern yourself with any guarantee or warranty you want to put on them and how you'll enforce it. This puts you in potential for dealing with whiny people who didn't install/set up/break in their engine correctly, say it was your problem, and now you've got that to deal with. Or you have to deal with faulty work of your own (even the best will get a lemon through occassionally...it happens because we're human).

So maybe in the end you only stand to make a few hundred bucks and may or may not be competitive with the engine remanufacturers who the attractive prices and shiny warranties. Kind of all depends on what your time is worth to you. I'm a busy person with many hobbies and places I need to be (doing things I like to do) so my time is valuable and anything that takes me away from these things should have attractive compensation.

AND you need to consider your location, if you're willing to ship--and if not--what you think the demand is in your area for your narrow range of motors. This is lesser detail of course, especially if you're just doing this as a side project.

Just my $.02 and things to consider.

·
Registered
205 Posts
From personal experience, the block work is basic, commodity stuff. Re the heads, unless someone is going for total originality, they won't want to pay you for what it will take to re-do the heads. They can get better performance from new heads for less than what you'd need to charge to rebuild the old ones. Also, just my $0.02.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope I meant strip off the original heads and replace with aluminum ones, probably edelbrock. And the $700 for machine work is just the block, crank, and connecting rods.

But Lizer I know what your saying. Its alot of overhead and not being able to buy parts wholesale would probably get rid of any useful profit. That and having to guarantee the workmanship.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
You might be better off advertising the dis-assembly and re-assembly work and see what you can drum up. Kind of a contractor for engine building. They hire you to do the leg work all the while they fund the costs and tell you what they want. Otherwise , you'll end up with a motor that isn't exactly what your customer wants. I bet out of all the modded 289/302/351 owners here, no two are alike.

This way it's side money as you go not money sitting in your garage in the form of built motors waiting to be sold. And you don't want to find your self with a customer who likes the motor but wants a different cam. Now you have to put 4 more hours in it to get it sold.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm liking your idea Sick... that seems like a much better way of going about it. Maybe I'll put an ad out on craigslist or something? I didn't wanna ship or anything like that I just wanted to keep it local. It's just an idea at the moment

1 - 6 of 6 Posts