Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Mustang GT and a week ago i drove to work and it ran fine. Get out of work and it turns over but wont start. Next morning i change the fuel filter cuz i knew it was the original and pretty rough in general. Changed it and it ran for a bit then would die. No fuel pressure and pump went out. Replaced the pump and it works and starts and runs but now while it runs...it runs like its misfiring or something. Theres no error codes coming up but the other day one did about the fuel driver? Would that have anything to do with it running so rough? Theres fuel pressure and fuel goin in but just doesnt wanna smooth itself out.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Check the EGR. Idle is rough when that is stuck open. Or check for a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Sure would be nice to know what the DTC code is.

There are 1000's and they each have a story to tell.

How did you narrow it down to a bad fuel pump?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only code that came up was for the fuel driver but it hasnt recently. I keep scanning and it says mass air flow is out of self test range. Thats the only code popping up. And theres vaccuum and all. It ran fine before the pump went bad, put a new one in and now it runs like hell. Narrowed it down just by testing it. You could hear that it wasnt running at all.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Spray the MAS with some cleaner. I heard if that isn't working right it makes the whole car run like crap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i took it in and the guy worked on it all day (supposedly) and i called him up the next morning and all he said is, i noticed its running very lean so im guessin its the injectors. I have a set of injectors from a 4.6 out of a thunderbird and i'll try them to see if it clears it up....i feel im wasting my time and money there...other then that i cant work on it till i get it back or he figures something out.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Likely the Non-PI injectors are the smaller #19's or #16's (not positive).

Instead of swapping in old possibly dirty and the perhaps the wrong size injectors, consider an injector cleaning service such as injectorrx.com. Once cleaned and flow tested, the injectors are as good as new. Much cheaper than new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try both of those once i get it home. I stopped after work and even though the shop was closed up i saw he took my cold air intake off so i really have no clue whats going on. Guess thats why i never took any of my vehicles in before. But always had a carbed engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts