Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having a smoking issue with my '90 gt. It looks like crank case gas is escaping the engine, at idle thin wisps of smoke can be seen comming out of the dipstick tube and at about 3500 rpm smoke just pours out from under the header. Could it be that the dip stick is loose, and therfore not sealing with the oil pan?

Fixes would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Is it an oil smell or fumes? Could be the header gasket itself needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
87 Posts
oen of 2 things.. either your dip stick is loose and results a smoke and oil burning smell. or a header gasket as stangdawg said

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dip stick is loose, and prevous owner put a buncha silicone around to seal it. Im scrapng off oil pan now kinda concerned about damage. The dip stick looks like it is supposed to be pressed in.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Dipstick has a bolt and integrated little bracket that holds it to the block. It should not be loose.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dipstick has a bolt and integrated little bracket that holds it to the block. It should not be loose.
It does and it is bolted in I did that whent I took care of the valve cover gaskets. but the bracket is kinda bent up. I didnt think much of it before, But the dip stick is pulled out of the pan a lil bit, there isnt a seal between the dip stick tube and the pan. I might have to replace the tube to be on the safe side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts